mtbr member
    May 2004

Magura Marta problem

I am beyond frusterated with these things. They have been dragging since the very first day I got them, I've tried all the fixes recomended by the people at Magura, no avail. I learned to live with it since I wasn't racing or anything. Now the back brake doesn't work at all for no apparent reason. I guess it might need to be bleed or something, but it's not even engaging a little bit.
    Last edited by fantom1; 10-04-2004 at 06:31 PM.

Do It Yourself

So you've tried them all?

The Martas are the best selling brake Magura has ever made. No brakes are perfect all the time and some need a little TLC. Properly setup, Margura brakes are the best in the business IMO. All hydraulic brakes will suck if improperly installed, need to be bled, etc. Have you read through the Magura Cult site? Lots of good info there. I think you need a bleed, reanimate the seals and microadjust. If you don't have a good shop near you and can't get them working yourself, I think Magura will take a look at them for you if you want to send them in. I don't know who you've been working with but Jimi has always been able to help me out.

jimi@magurausa.com

http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/w...a/contents.htm
    Long Live Long Rides

(aka SS_MB-7)

Magura Martas=Best brakes ever

Quote Originally Posted by fantom1
    I am beyond frusterated with these things. They have been dragging since the very first day I got them, I've tried all the fixes recomended by the people at Magura, no avail. I learned to live with it since I wasn't racing or anything. Now the back brake doesn't work at all for no apparent reason. I guess it might need to be bleed or something, but it's not even engaging a little bit.
    Hmm, that's odd, because I find my Marta SLs (I have a set on each of my MTBs) to be the best brake I've owned/tried. As a comparison, I've owned: Hope C2 Pros, Hope Minis, Hope Mono Minis, Formula B4s, Formula B4 SLs, Formula B4 SL+s, and Shimano XTR/XT, so I feel pretty confident in my first statement.

The Martas offer incredible power, amazing modulation, easy bleeds, phenomenal customer service, etc., all in a light-weight package....sounds like you have a installation/bleed issue with yours.

Your brake should not drag. Have you faced the disc tabs on your fork and frame? Even slight amounts of thin paint on the surface of the tab can make a difference since the tolerances are really tight. If you haven't done so, go visit a shop that has access to the Magura Gnann-o-mat disc tool or the Hope tool. This will ensure that your tabs are perfectly aligned. This will not only eliminate rubbing issues, but will reduce any noise/vibrations from the "system".

I've faced all tabs on all of my MTBs, used the correct number of paper-thin shims to get perfect caliper/rotor alignment and my brakes are working beautifully...with 0 rub!

Lastly, it does sound like you need to re-bleed your brakes. Carefully follow the steps I wrote here, as well as those at the Magura Cult. If that still does not work, try calling-up the friendly gents at Magura (Jimi, Lonnie, Jude, etc.) and they walk you through it. If that still doesn't help, they'll take a look at your brake.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

A wheelist
    Of course it *is* possible that you have bad brakes but as the other fellas say, Marta has been a good brake for Magura. As the keeper of the Magura Cult pages I have found that the vast majority of problems are installation/owner/shop mechanic induced. The real hardware problems get fixed PDQ by Magura.

If you really have tried the tips from Magura which will cover mount facing, shimming, bleeding and piston lubrication and you're *still* having problems then I know Magura will look after you.

Work with us here. We have all the resources to help you and we can help if you keep positive about all this. The last person here that we tried to help progressed into name-calling so we gave up trying.

Mike T. (mcm # 717 & FOG)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I really have tried everything that I can find on the subject either from Jimi at Magura, the MC page, or the Magura website, and they still have dragged from the very first ride on; now with the rear brake going totally limp it just really has me beyond frusterated. I am not sure what design changes went into the SLs, but they seem to have ironed out the problems that the regular Marta's have, as I am not the first person to complain about them. I feel like I got a bum set or something. Like I said, at first I thought it was just brake in period, then I learned to live with it, but when you buy a top of the line brake, and you take care of it, it should work. Also, these were setup by a pro shop, not by myself.
    I sent Jimi an email yesterday asking if there was anyway I could send him these brakes and purchase a set of the SLs at a discount or something, no answer as of yet.

A wheelist
    I really have tried everything that I can find on the subject either from Jimi at Magura, the MC page, or the Magura website, and they still have dragged from the very first ride on; now with the rear brake going totally limp it just really has me beyond frusterated. I am not sure what design changes went into the SLs, but they seem to have ironed out the problems that the regular Marta's have, as I am not the first person to complain about them. I feel like I got a bum set or something. Like I said, at first I thought it was just brake in period, then I learned to live with it, but when you buy a top of the line brake, and you take care of it, it should work. Also, these were setup by a pro shop, not by myself.
    I sent Jimi an email yesterday asking if there was anyway I could send him these brakes and purchase a set of the SLs at a discount or something, no answer as of yet.
    As I said in my PM message to you a few minutes ago, MaguraUSA will look after you on their return from Interbike. I'm standing in line too.

Mike T. (mcm # 717)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.