mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Magura Marta vs. XTR disc-opinions wanted

I am considering the Magura Marta vs. the XTR disc for my new Ventana El Salt. It is going to be an XC/trailbike-I weigh 150lbs (or less, when I am fit). Which would be the better choice? I am interested both in weight savings and performance-I had Marta's last season (on my Scalpel) and loved them, I took a test ride on the XTR's and they seemed good as well, although didn't seem to modulate as well as the Marta's. Weight-wise, I will save a bit with the Marta/rapidfire shifter combo over the XTR caliper/Dual Control setup. What do you think would be better performance and maintenance-wise? I am a shop employee, so Magura offers an EP program, XTR does not (at least not that I know of)-price may be in favor of the Marta's, so that may be a consideration as well. Opinions?

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgcatching
    I am considering the Magura Marta vs. the XTR disc for my new Ventana El Salt. It is going to be an XC/trailbike-I weigh 150lbs (or less, when I am fit). Which would be the better choice? I am interested both in weight savings and performance-I had Marta's last season (on my Scalpel) and loved them, I took a test ride on the XTR's and they seemed good as well, although didn't seem to modulate as well as the Marta's. Weight-wise, I will save a bit with the Marta/rapidfire shifter combo over the XTR caliper/Dual Control setup. What do you think would be better performance and maintenance-wise? I am a shop employee, so Magura offers an EP program, XTR does not (at least not that I know of)-price may be in favor of the Marta's, so that may be a consideration as well. Opinions?
    No experience with either, but I have seen alot of problems with XTR(fixed now) and it sounds too me like your favouring the martas. Everything you say is a Pro to the martas and a con to the XTR. Plus it aint shimano! Although I can't say that seeing my whole drivetrain is shimano

simply me
    I think a better way to look at it would be...

1) Which shifters do you want the latest XTR flippy kind or old style rapid fire?
    2) Do you want center lock rotors?

Answer these and you are probably going to be pointed in one direction, keeping in mind that once you go to the flippy levers it will be a substational cost to use any other non shimano brakes due to the fact that you will also have to buy new shifters. (Exception being Hopes, as I understand you can get a seal kit to allow them to run with XTR flippy shifters).

Both brake systems [marta & XTR] are dual piston, mineral oil based systems, they will both stop you. Marta has a 5 year non leak warranty. If you don't care about shifters or rotors... toss a coin.!

Quote Originally Posted by dawgcatching