mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Magura Marta vs Formula Oro Puro

I'm upgrading my older marta SL brakes, which are a 2003 model. I've like the modulation on these brakes and there stopping power is plenty for my weight, but they've been a maintenance hassle from the get go, as in always needing a bleed (3-4 times per season). I've had the shop do it and i've done it myself but it never lasts. Also the lever feel is not great, and slow to return.

I'm considering going to the new marta SL or the Formula Oro Puro, can anyone offer comparison's between these brakes and what the differences might be compared to my older Marta's?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Magura did redesign the 2009 martas. They now use the 6.1 or 6.2 pads which have more area and stopping power. The new ones are suposed to have an easier bleed system. I have not done any riding on them though.

I went to the Formula K18 because I would get my Marta's (pre 2009 w/ 200/160 setup) rather hot and get some fading. I also had to bleed once in 6 months because of slow lever return.

I'm happy with my K18s and they are way easier to bleed. Pad life is way better with the sintered pads.

If you want the new powerful, lightest Formulas, look at the R1s.
    Last edited by ziscwg; 03-20-2009 at 09:08 AM.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    I cant decide between the Louises and the K18s myself. Some people seem to love the K18s but many say they are on and off. I do tend to like modulation which is something usually that Magura does well.