mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Magura Marta vs 08 XT vs Formula ORO

Hi guys, I know I've just asked a similar question in an earlier thread, but it quickly went off topic. I've definitely narrowed my search down to these three.

Magura Marta

Pros:
    Can be found used for a good price
    light
    uses mineral oil
    easy to come by
    Cons
    supposedly hard to set up

08 XT
    Pros:
    Have experience with XT brakes and liked them
    easy to find parts
    Cheap at $220 shipped new
    mineral oil
    Servo wave
    Cons:
    KInda ugly in my opinion
    expensive as ever because they're new

Formula ORO K18 or K24
    Pros:
    look good
    supposed great performance
    Cons:
    Expensive
    use dot fluid

At this point I'm leaning towards the K18s because they get the best review. I prefer them to the K24s because they have a nicer paint job in my opinion and I don't think the lever adjust is worth the extra money, plus can't I just add it on later?

I'm going to try my best to give each a try or at least see them in person.

Which one would you choose?

ONE MORE QUESTION:
    I have a center lock hub on my front wheel and a 1.8 rotor in the rear, I know it goes against what's recommended, but does anyone have experience using formula brakes with non formula rotors?

THanks

wyrd biū ful „rśd
    I guess if you have already decided yourself ... looks are very important and setup as well ... if price is not a factor.

You need to take into account reviews to a certain extent. But experience is a major factor. I would recommend XTs because I have them on both my bikes and totally reliable.

If you want to use a rotor of a different brand then you will need to check that the brake track is wide enough and the actual width/thickness of the rotor is not too big for your caliper. Give sales@chainreactioncycles.com an email and they will be able to help you. I went that way with Hope rotors on XTs. Got them to measure the above 2 criteria and it works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    thank you very much, I'll give them a shout.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]I know someone that has Formula Oro K18ís on XT Centerlock 08 rotors and he is loving them and they seem to me to have a slight strength advantage over standard XT rotors, I donít think he has lost any power but the Oroís are powerful enough to compensate if he has, itís worth while checking Shimano callipers and discs for size as the 08 XT pads and calliper need a smaller brake track, he has managed to get them on fine though.

XTís are one of the most reliable brakes you can buy and the new ones are allot more powerful than previous models, have much nicer lever feel, the Free Stroke and reach adjustment really works wonder on the new XTís and are very good value for what they are, so I would choose them.

The Maguraís work but are nothing special in my opinion.

I love the look of the new 08 XT brakes but I think there are a few people saying they are ugly as well as you.
    [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]
    Just go with which one you like most as neither is any better out of the Oro or XT, they both do what they are supposed to.

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    why do you say the maguras are just ok, they seem to get pretty good reviews and can be had for a pretty good price nowadays.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]What I mean is that they are great brakes, thereís nothing wrong with them, its just that I would class the Oroís or XTís as outstanding brakes.

I donít know what magazines you get in Canada because Oroís rarely get anything less than 9/10 and a few give them 10/10. The XTís tend to get marked down for the difficulties with bleeding but other than that they get very good reviews too. Some of the mags tend to mark Magura brakes down for no reason, or just to make their choice look better.

The dealers in my area seem to lean very heavily on Shimano and Avid and once they have actually tried them Oroís and the new Hayes Stroker that allot of people like, there are very few people around with Maguraís and very few dealers.

Do you mean SL Martaís or standard?
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    either one, either can be had for a pretty good price. I think the standard would be superior though.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Just try them and you know which one you like most and your ready to order then.
    [/SIZE]

TC3
    mtbr member
    If I were you, I would add the 08 Louise into the list
    I have Oro Puro, XTR M975, Marta SL and 08 Louise BAT.
    and I'm loving the 08 Louise (XTR M975 is the close second)
    It's priced right, quiet, modulates well and has plenty of power.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Actually that is a good idea, if you donít go for the SL Marta then you should consider the Louise with the carbon levers and venti rotors, they are smooth, powerful and reliable, but some people donít like the lever distance from the handlebar.
    [/SIZE]

TC3
    mtbr member
    Yeah, the Louise lever was set pretty far out from the factory
    but it can be adjusted by a screw right next to the BAT dial.
    IMHO, the 08 Louise carbon's lever feel isn't as smooth as the "normal" one
    I am glad that I was able to try both before buying

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    thanks guys, you mentioned 08 Louise, were the 07 one inferior?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    dont the hope mono minis deserve a mention here, im planning to get them for my epic

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm my opinon the louse is butt ugly, I won't have that thing on my bike. I had an opportunity to take a look at the marta and the 08 xts, aesthetically the martas win hands down. I'm not really a fan of the hopes.

consider price, weight, looks and availability, I think that I'm going to go for the martas. they can be had for around $160 in good shape and they seem to get good reviews and they look good to boot.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    The Marta's are really just amazing brakes. Their power, modulation, and resistance to issues such as boiling or fading is beyond other brakes in their category that I have tried. I actually have a fair number of full-on resort DH days on Martas (running 180 mm rotors) and they performed better than some "freeride" brakes that I have tried.

Parts are easy to get for Martas and Magura USA is very helpful should you need that level of assistance.

Setup is not hard but it's different than other brakes with respect to the bleeding process. Getting the hang of pushing fluid up from the bottom while simultaneously pulling it off the top takes a little getting used to. Other than that, just follow the instructions to top them off and push a little extra fluid into the caliper at the end. Not that big of a deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    thanks alot, there's currently a a set available that's missing a hose, do you know where I could get a magura hose?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by timms
    thanks alot, there's currently a a set available that's missing a hose, do you know where I could get a magura hose?
    I could order you some hose but you can just snag online here: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=1606

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    cool, thanks.