Plan #123-D

Magura Marta SL vs. Avid Elixir R - Help!

I know I know, based on thread title alone you'd think I'm comparing apples to oranges...Anyone have time on both brakes?

I have an opportunity to pick up either set, used, but am having trouble deciding which one. I've read positive reviews of each and negative reviews of each...looking for some insight here!

The Elixir R set comes with 160mm rotors and 2 extra sets of pads, were OEM on a 2010ish Stumpjumper

The Magura Marta SL set comes with 180/160 rotors and maybe one extra set of pads, I believe were not OEM and circa 2008ish.

Both brakes are in similar condition but the Maguras are $50 more.

Which would you choose and why? They are going on a JET9.

Thanks!
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have avid r's and those are the determining factor that I will never use avid brakes again. A pain to bleed, a screw fell out, I've serviced the pistons like crazy and they still stick. Horrible squeal too.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Can't say anything about Avids. I would say the issue with the Martas is if they are 2008 or older or if they are 2009 or newer. The brakes went through quite a change. I have the 2009 and would get them again. How much is the Magura set? There are all sorts of deals out there on new sets of martas now, the line being discontinued.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    They're both being sold because no one wants them. I wish mine weren't functional so I could replace them with some shimano slx.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Check out the new Magura MT4 brakes. They have the same design as the higher end MT8 and MT6 but at lower price. They're a little heavier and they use a cheaper material in the master but perform very close and good for the money. Plus they have a bite adjustment. Cost is $175 per wheel plus rotors or check out the MT2 which doesn't have the bite adjust at $104 per wheel.

mtbr member
    piece of cake: the Avids are garbage. In a comparison of literally anything out there vs elixers, the avids lose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    avid is seriously bad news. The martas do the trick, not the lightest in the world but ez to set up and service

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperBike View Post
    Check out the new Magura MT4 brakes. They have the same design as the higher end MT8 and MT6 but at lower price. They're a little heavier and they use a cheaper material in the master but perform very close and good for the money. Plus they have a bite adjustment. Cost is $175 per wheel plus rotors or check out the MT2 which doesn't have the bite adjust at $104 per wheel.
    ya.. I'd do wha the said.. the MT systems are sweet, easy to set up,.. good price... I'd take the MT2's over either you stated to be honest... and they work great
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I used both extensively and actually like the 2011 Elixir R slightly BETTER than my 2007 Magura Marta SL. The Marta SL has an on/off lever feel to it, compared to the Elixir R - which has that sweet, precise micro-modulation, requiring only one finger to control.

Also, the sintered OEM Avid pads last nearly FOREVER, compared to the Magura Performance or Semi-metallics, OEM or aftermarket. Weight-wise, the Martas are about 50-80g lighter total, including rotors....but the stopping power of the Elixir R can easily withstand extended descents of 3000ft+. The mineral oil inside the Maguras will boil and extreme fade will result, if trying to stop for that long.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    The Newer MT's are a lot better than the older Marta's... a LOT better!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    I used both extensively and actually like the 2011 Elixir R slightly BETTER than my 2007 Magura Marta SL.
    i agree, but when the elixir pistons start sticking and bleeding doesn't fix they become very expensive paper weights

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by natrat View Post
    i agree, but when the elixir pistons start sticking and bleeding doesn't fix they become very expensive paper weights
    Avid fixed the sticky caliper pistons with the 2011-up model Elixirs.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    The Maguras use mineral oil and never deteriates in performance. Boiling point is 358degree so the same as a DOT 3 or 4 (but can endure many years without service.) there is record of older HS rim brakes enduring 10 years with unserviced fluids yet excellent performance and dependability.

The pre-2009 Marta held less fluid in the MC and needed to be bleed correctly so the system had the proper amount of fluid (and not too little) and then they never need attention and last for a very long time.
    Post '09 Marta's grew in weight a little due to the larger MC reservoir capacity and more substantial brake pad, pad back plate and pad material (to endure more abuse and heat) and therefore are more "all mountain" compatible where the pre-09 Marta was more XC.

Thanks for considering Marta.
    Jude

mtbr member

Re: Magura Marta SL vs. Avid Elixir R - Help!

Quote Originally Posted by natrat View Post
    The problem with sticking pistons can be repaired with a $29 lever rebuild.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Scars are like tattoos - only with better memories...