mtbr member

Magura Marta SL MAG BROKE!!! gRRRRRRRRR

Update, Magura is sending out a new one no questions asked. Magura is now on my "top-notch" list alongside Graupner, Airlift, and Sony. Thanks guys. Funny I just went out and test rode the new build in my yard and the front tire split on the sidewall radially!! Kenda Nevegal Stick-E tire, what the hell man? Brand new!!!

Last edited by C-Dale_Rider; 10-18-2012 at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    C-Dale_Rider, sorry to hear about your broken brake. I am not affiliated with Magura in any way. I have also had my share of frustrations with Magura at times, but I must say, in the end, they did the right thing and took care of me. I too was really pissed, and probably did not handle it as well as I should have, but once again, there are people there at Magura that can and in my case did step up and help me out. I hope you get some help too.

mtbr member
    The comfort factor from your support calms me a little. I'll stay tuned and update this thread as things go. I have good luck getting things promptly repaired when I air out the issue on forums (like Airlift on the Vortex). I wanted to ride that bike this weekend and now it just sits. I have over $2k in this build so I'm quite anxious to get it on the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I would contact Magura USA and tell them what happened. Be sure you try not to blast them, but give them a chance and explain it. On super high-end stuff like the Marta SL Mag, one would like to think they will do something. Good luck again

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    I would contact Magura USA and tell them what happened. Be sure you try not to blast them, but give them a chance and explain it. On super high-end stuff like the Marta SL Mag, one would like to think they will do something. Good luck again
    I did shoot them an email so we'll see. Funny thing is I just had a Graupner MX20 transmitter blow up on me (super high-end RC stuff from Germany) and I explained to the US dealer what happened. He promptly took it and sent it back to Germany under a false warranty claim just to help me out (I bought it second hand as well). People who deal with high-end products do have a tendency to help folks out regardless of published warranty rules. Graupner and Airlift are my most recent "thumbs up" companies, I hope Magura will be the third.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    C-Dale_Rider, sorry to hear about your broken brake. I am not affiliated with Magura in any way. I have also had my share of frustrations with Magura at times, but I must say, in the end, they did the right thing and took care of me. I too was really pissed, and probably did not handle it as well as I should have, but once again, there are people there at Magura that can and in my case did step up and help me out. I hope you get some help too.
    I see your ebay ad.. You must be thinking the same thing I am, "get out while the gettin's good".

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well I did stay with Magura and am running the MT8's. Now that I have a good bleed, they feel amazing. The Marta SL work great as you know once set up correctly, and I never had any issues with them breaking, more bleed issues. I would still be running them if circumstance was different and I did not have the MT8's. That set of Mags is clean!

mtbr member
    Well they did use a superior clamp design on the MT8's. As soon as I get resolution on these brakes they will go on ebay and I'll get the MT8's. I can't in good faith put the SL's on my bike after knowing they are so fragile. Sure would suck to have a brake fall off and get stuck in the front wheel!! I don't need another broken clavicle!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dale_Rider View Post
    Well they did use a superior clamp design on the MT8's.
    it's carbon and has real low torque value so probably best to use a torque wrench

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by natrat View Post
    it's carbon and has real low torque value so probably best to use a torque wrench
    Well if you break carbon fiber it's super easy to repair. The magnesium casting (Magura calls it a forging but you can clearly see the cast parting line on the body) is impossible to repair. Mag has to be preheated to 300F and welded with a high-nickel rod. I TIG weld anything and everything but I don't think it would be possible to break this assembly down to the bare casting (seals, piston, etc). I much prefer parts that are fixable in some capacity rather than outright junk because of something simple breaking. Now I'm looking at SLX if the MT8's are going to be "fragile".

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Cdale rider, Sorry for not getting your ride in due to your broken brake MC. That has been an issue for that model if it is over torqued which is easy to do especially with a nice slick carbon handlebar.

Proper torq spec for the Mag MC is 3 nm VS 4nm for the alloy versions. Easy to over torque.

We can warranty that MC if we have any and I can check in the mean time. (I work remote from the office in Illinois and is why I am not current with warranty supplies and availability.)
    Jude

mtbr member
    Check up on your inventory if you don't mind. I'm in Charlotte NC at the moment. I used 5-minute epoxy on it last night and believe it or not its holding. I won't get a chance to test it thoroughly until this weekend however. I haved attempted any modification repair yet, just glued together at the moment. I would like a replacement so I could sell these and get something less fragile.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Cdale rider, I checked the office inventory and looks like we have a few left.
    Contact Kent at 618-395-2200 XT 225. He is aware you will be calling for a warranty MC and will need to know if it is left or right.

BTW, These don't have a history of being fragile but I understand your reservations.

Good luck with your ride this weekend!
    Jude

mtbr member
    Thread OP updated to reflect current situation. Thanks guys!

Kenda Nevegal 26x2.10 Stick-E Tomac signature tire after 10 seconds of riding in my front yard:
    I'm having great luck with all these new parts eh?

Last edited by C-Dale_Rider; 10-18-2012 at 01:00 PM.