mtbr member
    May 2007

Magura Marta (SL) or Formula Oro k24 or Shimano XT or Avid Juicy Ultimates

Help please!!! I need new brakes urgently. I am using Hayes El Caminos, but I have never been able to get them to work properly (even after sending them back to the supplier for 2months and having the pistons drilled out and replaced). They just give one problem after another... seized, rear pads continually touching because pistons don't return fully, no power...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jlalou
    Help please!!! I need new brakes urgently. I am using Hayes El Caminos, but I have never been able to get them to work properly (even after sending them back to the supplier for 2months and having the pistons drilled out and replaced). They just give one problem after another... seized, rear pads continually touching because pistons don't return fully, no power...
    why not new hope mono minis?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ok, add those too. Tell me how they compare...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jlalou
    Ok, add those too. Tell me how they compare...
    i have not used all of them. i have used hope and juicies. both have been great. i think you need to decide how light you want to go. if weight is not an issue then juicy 5's are cool too.

if weight is an issue, make sure the quoted weight includes rotors. i know you didn't mention oro puros, but they don't come with the rotor so the quoted weight might be misleading. someone can correct this if i am wrong.

i am building up a bike soon and i am going for weight. my 3 choices are magura martas, formula oro puro, or hope mono minis...all great choices. i am probably leaning towards puros or minis. kind of want to try puros, but not because i don't like my current hopes....just to try something else.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599

if weight is an issue, make sure the quoted weight includes rotors. i know you didn't mention oro puros, but they don't come with the rotor so the quoted weight might be misleading. someone can correct this if i am wrong.
    on formula's site the weight for all components, including rotors and adapters are clearly stated.....and formula rotors are pretty light too

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    on formula's site the weight for all components, including rotors and adapters are clearly stated.....and formula rotors are pretty light too
    okay, great. i have not had a chance to go to the site yet. i will check that. i just recall seeing them at a vendor's site and it saying around 305g i believe...but then it says no rotor, etc... so i never followed through yet on these details-but i will.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    strokers?

mtbr member
    i have some juicy ultimates and they are sweet, i would recomend them

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Was keen on the Ultimates 'cos Avid goes well with Sram. But a few people have told me they're not as powerful as some other brakes, They also say this shouldnt be a problem because I'm fairly light.

Now I'm waiting on prices from my LBS on Marta's & Puro's.

Marta's: Pros - I've been told they STOP!! and the agent is up the road if I have any problems. Cons: because they're handmade, they either work brilliantly or not at all depending on the set you get. Any comments on this?

Puro's: Pros - looks like they're the industry leader at the moment. & they're Italian and I ride an Italian Extralite. Cons - not many around, so servicibality issues if have problems?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    PS fetched my bike from my LBS today - they tried to make my El Caminos usable, but just got worse! They re-bled them a few times, but now the rear caliper does nothing even with lever pulled all the way to the bar and the front caliper works ok if I pull the lever all the way to the bar. Sundays ride should be interesting! (And yes, my LBS do know what they're doing, so not an issue with them being clueless!).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ok, after many hours of sifting through other threads, I finally found one asking the same thing....
    Formula's win by a long way!
    Now just have to wait for a price (I hope I can afford them OR my wife doesn't mind starving for a few months...)

ntj
    guidedbybicycles
    I wouldn't go starving yourself. I asked the same question minus jucys and maguras and nobody had a true comparison. I gambled and bough OEM 08 XTs for $200 and they are awesome. I don't think I'll ever need that much power, but it's nice to have. You won't know what hit you after the El Cs.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wow! Thanks...
    Just ordered XT from my LBS. Can't believe the price difference to other brakes, and the weight's not that different. And shimano are nearby, give good customer service, parts are easily available. XT's easy to set up and reliable.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    New brakes going on now... Can't wait to try them...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

dual pistons

looking for new brakes for my bike. like the hopes. not sure on the mechanics on dual pistons, do they move independently. is it possible that one can compress more than the other, or that one will depress in and the other one half way.. also thinking about the juicy ultimate carbon thanks
    Last edited by firemanfitz; 02-07-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: meant to post new thread

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    sorry i ignore my previous quote it is posted in a new thread. no high jacking intended