utilikilted

Magura Marta SL 2011 vs 2010

Is there any difference between 2011 and 2010 Marta SL calipers and levers? The 2011 is $130.00 more eBay, the only visible difference being the storm rotors on the 2011.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    No difference...if you want to be on the breaking edge, wait til their new brake system comes out this year.

utilikilted
    Thanks for the info. Actually, I'm in good shape with BB7's, so in no hurry. I'm ready to upgrade to hydraulics (no debate desired here on BB7's vs hydros - there are plenty of other threads to hash this out on). I installed Magura hydro rim brakes on my old Psycle Werks 12 years ago and they have been awesome. Never needed to be bled, no problems. I'm ready to get back to that smooth, modulated feel at the lever and want to stick with Magura.
    Speaking of rolling in cash, my concern with the new system is cost ($350 for complete 2010 Marta SL with rotors on eBay at the moment)

Binned
    Nov 2008
    $350 is a great price for a complete set! BUT, don't bye a set with Wavy rotors or else you may suffer the jutter sensation so many of us have using them. Get a set with the new Storm rotors (SL Storm). They are excellent and lightweight.

utilikilted
    Thanks for the heads up. Storms are $60.00 each, which would pick up some of the slack in the $130.00 difference between 2011 and 2010 (which come with wavy rotors). It would be worth it regardless.

Smooth, trouble free shifting is a given these days, but it's obvious from the reviews and forums hydro disc braking is not yet that refined. If you ride a lot, brakes that squeel or modulate poorly just can't be lived with. In the brake reviews, look how many guys have gone through buko bucks worth of different brakes.

I am not a downhiller, consider myself AM, somewhat fast at descents but not a big drop off guy (age, house payment and demanding job prohibit that kind of play). Though I try to keep my bike below 30 lb, I am even considering a set of Gustavs, despite their weight, due to the positive reviews.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuteye
    Thanks for the heads up. Storms are $60.00 each, which would pick up some of the slack in the $130.00 difference between 2011 and 2010 (which come with wavy rotors). It would be worth it regardless.

Smooth, trouble free shifting is a given these days, but it's obvious from the reviews and forums hydro disc braking is not yet that refined. If you ride a lot, brakes that squeel or modulate poorly just can't be lived with. In the brake reviews, look how many guys have gone through buko bucks worth of different brakes.

I am not a downhiller, consider myself AM, somewhat fast at descents but not a big drop off guy (age, house payment and demanding job prohibit that kind of play). Though I try to keep my bike below 30 lb, I am even considering a set of Gustavs, despite their weight, due to the positive reviews.
    I bought my SL Storm rotors from the Magura Webstore and they were $30 each. You can get them all day long on eBay for the same price! Here's an example link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magura-STORM-SL-...item35af185b23

utilikilted
    Muchas gracias, amigo. That makes it $70 cheaper to buy the 2010 Marta SL set and buy Storms seperate.

mtbr member
    I just purchased a set of 2011 Marta SL's with Carbon levers and Storm rotors on eBay for $400. I'll post up an update once my bike is finished! Looks like I got a killer deal!!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by canonshooter
    I just purchased a set of 2011 Marta SL's with Carbon levers and Storm rotors on eBay for $400. I'll post up an update once my bike is finished! Looks like I got a killer deal!!
    Are they regular Storm rotors or SL Storm rotors?

mtbr member
    Storm SL rotors. What are you thinking?

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Storm SL rotors. What are you thinking?
    I am thinking...save weight with the SL Storm rotors!

mtbr member
    hehe! thanks man. I am pretty stoked about these brakes. Coming from new XT's on my Ells, the Martas should be a huge inprovement on the One9 build!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    So, pretty soon, you're rig will have brakes like this?...

(pics taken before Storm rotors were available)
    Last edited by SCR818; 07-31-2012 at 05:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Yes...only Silver and Black. There will be no colors on my bike! Yours look sweet though!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Yes...only Silver and Black. There will be no colors on my bike! Yours look sweet though!
    My last ride, a Spec SJ was all gothed out in all black with some silver trim. I wanted a little more pazazz in my newest build, so I went with black with red/silver/white trim.

mtbr member
    lets get some more pics dude!

mtbr member
    hehe! thanks man. I am pretty stoked about these brakes. Coming from new XT's on my Ells, the Martas should be a huge inprovement on the One9 build!
    My XT's work better than my Martas...

utilikilted
    I ended up buying the Marta SL's with 160mm storm rotors for $350 on eBay as mentioned in the OP. I was surprised when they arrived with carbon levers. I then ordered 203mm front and 180mm rear Storm SL rotors with adapters from www.universalcycles.com for $85.55 including shipping, which I just received. I'm out a total of $435, but can now sell the 160mm Storm rotors and adapters, new in their sealed Magura bags on eBay. I should be able to sell both rotors and adapters for at least $30 since individual Storm rotors are going for $27. I hope to get brakes and rotors mounted up this weekend.

mtbr member
    Have been riding the Marta SL's 2011 with Storm SL rotors for a while now, best brakes ever ! No squealing, no juddering, ton's of power and great modulation. A dream, well worth the cash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timroz
    My XT's work better than my Martas...
    I would be interested what year Marta's you have. Dont get me wrong... I like my XT's, especially with Pentosin, but the Magura's aren't even supposed to be on the same level.

utilikilted
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow
    Have been riding the Marta SL's 2011 with Storm SL rotors for a while now, best brakes ever ! No squealing, no juddering, ton's of power and great modulation. A dream, well worth the cash.
    Your feedback backs up most of the feedback I have received while researching the Marta SL's. Regarding the word "most", it's clear there isn't a brake set out there that pleases everyone, and someone has been displeased with every top rated brand out there.

Now I am looking forward to torqueing the bits onto the bike. I just received a Magura tubing cutter in the mail yesterday to make clean, non crimping cuts without disrupting the mineral oil when I install. I already own a bleed kit in case it's needed. If all goes well, I'll be ready to ride this weekend
    Last edited by Shuteye; 02-11-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Your feedback backs up most of the feedback I have received while researching the Marta SL's. Now I am looking forward to torqueing the bits onto the bike. I just received a Magura tubing cutter in the mail yesterday to make clean, non crimping cuts without disrupting the mineral oil when I install. I already own a bleed kit in case its needed. If all goes well, I'll be ready to ride this weekend
    Make sure to post pics of the installed brakes! Looking forward to seeing them in a different color scheme than what I have.

mtbr member
    Agreed! how much was that tubing cutter? can the park tool one be used in lieu of the magura one?

utilikilted
    Agreed! how much was that tubing cutter? can the park tool one be used in lieu of the magura one?
    It was $11.50 including shipping from Scott at SKRainwater@bellsouth.net. He sells Magura parts on eBay under Mud_maniac. I now just email him if I need any Magura bits and PayPal him directly as he has proven to be straight up and reliable. If you contact Scott, you can tell him Jon from Fresno recommended him.

The cutter is the same plastic clothes pin affair used on Magura's youtube installation video. It uses a pointed razor that initially penetrates the center of the line while holding it, so no crushing. I have a Park cable housing cutter, but that is a scissors type cutter. Not sure how clean the cut would be and how much mineral oil would be displaced (then requiring bleeding).

That said, I have a bike that is set up with Magura hydraulic caliper rim brakes and recently cut that housing with wire cutters with no brake function issues.
    Last edited by Shuteye; 02-11-2011 at 04:58 PM.

mtbr member
    ***EDIT*****

I answered my own question! Thanks! I added that vendor to my eBay list. I am sure I will be contacting him. Thanks for the informatio.
    Last edited by canonshooter; 02-11-2011 at 12:02 PM.

utilikilted
    This afternoon I removed Avid rotors and mounted the Storm SL rotors on my wheels. Then came the moment of truth, when I mounted the back wheel on the bike and verified that the 180mm rotor cleared the seat stay as it angle inward. I had already unbolted the old adapters, leaving the BB7 calipers bolted to them, hanging from the bars by their cables. I then mounted the new Magura caliper adapters and remounted the wheels with their new rotors.

Second moment of truth was sliding the new calipers over the rotors and finding that the adapters I ordered were correct, allowing the calipers to bolt to them with proper tracking on the rotors. I can only say Magura is awesome. I squeezed each free hanging brake levers (handlebars still cluttered with grips, shifters and Avid levers) to center the caliper on the rotor, and tightened each caliper down. Then spun each wheel. No rub, all worked well when the hanging brake levers were squeezed.

Tomorrow I blow grips off the bars with my compressor, remove shifters and old levers. Then I'll install new levers and only have to deal with cutting the hydraulic lines to proper length - hopefully no bleeding necessary using the Magura line cutter. So far all is working well and I am feeling very, very good about choosing the Marta SL's as my choice of brake. Of course, actual riding will be the proof of the pudding.

utilikilted
    Levers are now mounted and lines have been cut to length. The brakes are feeling very, very good on the street - now can't wait to get out on the trail. The Magura cutter made it very easy to cut the lines with no muss, no fuss and no need to bleed.

I'll try to post pics. Though I can put up pics on eBay and Audiogon, MTBR has always frustrated me.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear it went so well. I plan to buy a set of marta sls next week. I have been waiting for the top two feet or so of snow to melt, but I can't wait anymore! I am going to try to cut the lines, however, with a razor blade on an elevated block of wood.

utilikilted
    Quote Originally Posted by knl2stl
    I have been waiting for the top two feet or so of snow to melt, but I can't wait anymore!
    Today was 70 degrees in central California. We are spoiled!

I am going to try to cut the lines, however, with a razor blade on an elevated block of wood.
    A razor blade should work, as long as the line is handled carefully so no mineral oil escapes, otherwise bleed time

mtbr member
    Glad to hear it's going well. I just ordered a set of blue SL's to go on my raw 5 Spot. I just hope the blue matches my blue Hope hubs and King headset.
    "The Jeep is America's only real sports car"
    Enzo Ferrari

mtbr member
    A razor blade should work, as long as the line is handled carefully so no mineral oil escapes, otherwise bleed time
    I figure that cutting the lines is only one of the many places where I could let out a little oil.... I will just try to be careful every step of the way.

utilikilted
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorep
    Glad to hear it's going well. I just ordered a set of blue SL's to go on my raw 5 Spot. I just hope the blue matches my blue Hope hubs and King headset.
    I will try to post pics today. The set I just mounted was blue also. Magura's blue is a bit more sky blue side compared to deep blue. It doesn't match the blue of my Hadley hubs or the blue of my Ventana X-5, but does match the left hand adjustment knob on my Fox fork My King headset is silver, so no comparison to give you there. On a raw bike I think contrasting blues will look good no matter what.

On my own bike, deep blue would have been very cool looking as my Hadleys and frame both match. That said, the set up still looks good. I like it and within a month won't be giving the contrasting blue a second thought. Lord knows my frame now has enough scratches and cable rub that even a good sized ding woudn't bother me now. Your 5 spot is an awesome bike. I think of it as a bullet proof frame and if rode as it was designed for, will be scratched up in no time, if it isn't already

I hope your installation and set up goes as smooth as mine did!
    Last edited by Shuteye; 02-14-2011 at 02:30 PM.

utilikilted
    I figure that cutting the lines is only one of the many places where I could let out a little oil.... I will just try to be careful every step of the way.
    I had a bit more lever travel after cutting my lines, but the lever feel was just as firm. I had to adjust the levers closer to the bar anyway. When pressing in the new hose inserts, be sure to use the groove on the yellow plastic caliper insert to help hold the line. I would have missed this feature had I not gone on line and watched the Magura hose cutting video on youtube (search this video under "Magura line shortening", as it was a bit hard to find - didn't show up when searching "Magura marta sl"). Good luck

mtbr member
    Thanks. I have seen the video. It is on the Magura site as well. There are also videos there about installation and bleeding. I will get a bleed kit when I get the brakes, thinking that I will need it sooner or later.

utilikilted
    Here's some pics of the new Marta installation. I'm getting used to the two shades of blue. Had to include one of the "bike garage" where many a relaxing hour has been spent and a few glasses of red wine have been consumed The only "upgrade" still to be done is change pedals. The Shimano PD-M970's haven't lived up to the hype. Release is still inconsistent in the wet. I'm going back to Time, getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of ROC ATAC's.

Magura Marta SL 2011 vs 2010-img_1436.jpg

Magura Marta SL 2011 vs 2010-img_1437.jpg

Magura Marta SL 2011 vs 2010-img_1441.jpg

Magura Marta SL 2011 vs 2010-img_1442.jpg
    That's a 203mm rotor in front, 180mm in back
    Magura Marta SL 2011 vs 2010-img_1446.jpg
    Last edited by Shuteye; 02-14-2011 at 07:34 AM.

mtbr member
    I like the way that you photo shopped all the snow out of the picture.

utilikilted
    I like the way that you photo shopped all the snow out of the picture.
    Low 70's in the Central Valley today, at the base of the Sierra foothills. But then, I can't go ice fishing

mtbr member
    Well, I have never been ice fishing, but I have biked across frozen lakes to have a beer with people ice fishing. Funny when an ice cold beer warms you up.

I should be ordering my SLs tomorrow.

I ride Time ATAC. The best (physical) connection that I have ever had to a bike.

utilikilted
    Well, I have never been ice fishing, but I have biked across frozen lakes to have a beer with people ice fishing. Funny when an ice cold beer warms you up.
    More winter hardcore than this California boy, no doubt!

I should be ordering my SLs tomorrow.
    What color? Are they going on that yellow/gold Gunnar? I would imagine 160mm rotors will serve in Wisconsin.

I ride Time ATAC. The best (physical) connection that I have ever had to a bike.
    Agreed 100%. My Shimanos got great reviews. Never trust reviews!
    Last edited by Shuteye; 02-13-2011 at 10:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Here's some pics of the new Marta installation. I'm getting used to the two shades of blue. Had to include one of the "bike garage" where many a relaxing hour has been spent and a few glasses of red wine have been consumed The only "upgrade" still to be done is change pedals. The Shimano PD-M970's haven't lived up to the hype. Release is still inconsistent in the wet. I'm going back to Time, getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of ROC ATAC's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1436.JPG 
Views:	701 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	597300

Name:	IMG_1437.JPG 
Views:	980 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	597301

Name:	IMG_1441.JPG 
Views:	1497 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	597302

Name:	IMG_1442.JPG 
Views:	996 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	597303

Name:	IMG_1446.JPG 
Views:	746 
Size:	221.6 KB 
ID:	597304
    Nice pics. The blue is better than I expected. For some reason the Hope hubs are a darker blue than any of their other blue items. Their quick releases and seat post clamp is almost an exact match on the Maguras.

BTW, nice bike cave. I spent the past two days cleaning and re-modeling my garage. I'm still not done!
    Enzo Ferrari

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I would be interested what year Marta's you have. Dont get me wrong... I like my XT's, especially with Pentosin, but the Magura's aren't even supposed to be on the same level.
    Not true,If you going to buy maguras wait for the next gen. due out in a few months !!

mtbr member
    What color? Are they going on that yellow/gold Gunnar? I would imagine 160mm rotors will serve in Wisconsin.
    My yellow Gunnar had mostly red and black bits on it, but over the winter most of the shinny red stuff has been replaced with black. I like the red brakes, but am going to get black. I think that 160mm rotors will work fine for the kind of xc riding that I do.

utilikilted
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorep
    Nice pics. The blue is better than I expected. For some reason the Hope hubs are a darker blue than any of their other blue items. Their quick releases and seat post clamp is almost an exact match on the Maguras.
    Post pics when you are done. Raw with matching blue bits should make a nice looking ride. I picked up the X-5 in like new condition off of eBay for a song and dance 4 years ago, but if I had my own preference, it would be raw. The bike sitting next to it in the bike garage is a raw Psycle Werks Wild Hare that I purchased new 14 years ago, give or take a year. As I understand it, it was designed by Dave Turner (Psycle Werks has been out of business for years).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    Not true,If you going to buy maguras wait for the next gen. due out in a few months !!
    I thought the 11's were next gen. Why do you think the current Magura's are not better than my XT's?

mtbr member
    I finally got my Marta SLs on the bike. If the kids ever get better and leave me alone, I will see if I can post some pics. I have not had a chance to bed in the pads yet, but that will happen sooooooooooon.
    Last edited by knl2stl; 03-15-2011 at 05:29 PM.

utilikilted
    Looking forward to seeing pics. I'm liking the new brakes after finally getting to try them out on the trail. Excellent modulation, no squeel.

mtbr member
    No trail riding here yet, but did get to bed the pads in a bit today on the street. The inboard pad/piston on the front keeps on extending until it hits the rotor. Not sure what is going on. Keep on centering pads/pistons in caliper, centering rotor between pads, a few more stops, and inboard pad/piston is out way more than the outer and up against the rotor. I can push the rotor against the pad to more it back, but a few more runs, and it is out again. I probably won't be able to get back to the issue for a couple of days.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Anybodies new Martas squeeling during the break in time?

mtbr member
    Anybodies new Martas squeeling during the break in time?
    No and yes. From the 30kph to 0 there was never any squeal, but then if I rolled on a bit, I would get a goose like honk if I lightly applied the brakes. Happened both front and back. In my case, it might be there to stay due to the old fork and IS mount on the frame which required a 1mm washer on top and 0 on bottom.

Oh, and every thing was faced.

mtbr member
    No and yes. From the 30kph to 0 there was never any squeal, but then if I rolled on a bit, I would get a goose like honk if I lightly applied the brakes. Happened both front and back. In my case, it might be there to stay due to the old fork and IS mount on the frame which required a 1mm washer on top and 0 on bottom.

Oh, and every thing was faced.
    Yeah, mine squealed quite a bit too. I also had major issues with leaking with the front caliper. I went through 2 sets of pads due to them getting oil soaked. They're much better now with only the front honking a bit. I think a new set of pads would solve the problem.
    Enzo Ferrari

mtbr member
    It looks like I might have a leak on the front caliper where the line is tightened in.....

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Is it where the hose goes into the fitting or where the fitting goes into the caliper?

I had a leak where the hose goes into the fitting and it contaminated the pads. I called Magura USA and the sent out a new hose assembly, royal blood, olives, compression fittings, new pads...they will take great care of you!

Since the warranty repair I have not had any other leaks.

Magura USA (618) 395-2200 Ken is the warranty rep. He's a great guy!!!

mtbr member
    The only place that there was oil was on the caliper, around the hole that the fitting threads into. I have not had any oil or lube around my bike since I last rode it, to bed in the pads. I cleaned up the caliper and have seen no more oil, but then I have not used the brake to go from 30kph to 0 30 times.

Ken or Kent? I have already dealt with a guy named Kent, on other issues. Very helpful.

I will pump the lever a few times every ow and then and see what happens.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    If it appears as though oil was coming from where the fitting goes into the caliper, tighten it a little.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I already tried that a couple of times. My torque wrench does not have an open faced attachment, so I was a little worried. I applied quite a bit of pressure with my regular open faced wrench, but after no movement, I decided to stop.

mtbr member
    OK, so I turned it ever oh so slightly. There has been no more oil, but I still have not used the brakes in a real world situation.

mtbr member
    Hi again to all those who were active in this thread. The first time I tried to post pics, it would not let me / work, but I just tried it again:

Magura Marta SL 2011 vs 2010-img_0363.jpg

Magura Marta SL 2011 vs 2010-img_0361.jpg

Magura Marta SL 2011 vs 2010-img_0362.jpg

mtbr member
    Cannonshooter - did you swap out your shamano gear -- what are your impressions?

Members who have read this thread: 0