mtbr member

Magura Marta SL <= 2009 . Brake lever juddering

Bikeradar's review of the new Magura Marta SL 2009 mentions The wavy rotors do give a kind of juddering feel, akin to ABS, but once you’re used to it, it doesn’t affect their superb performance.

Anybody has any experience with the new or old Marta SL regarding the juddering in the brake lever?

Meh.
    There are some component combinations that simply reasonate.

But... Most likely it's that the brake was not setup correctly. The caliper may not have been aligned correctly. This could be because of disc tabs that weren't faced. It could've been unevenly worn pads. It could be hardware that wasn't torqued correctly. Loose hubs or pivot bearings could make this happen.

I've worked on plenty of the older Martas that performed just fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    my '07 marta sl's w/ 'wavy' rotors do not exhibit any judder.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My 07 martas dont have any jutter, sputter, butter or clutter. They just stop well. In fact, they stopped too well on the back and I had to take the rotor size down to 160 from 180 to get a better "feathering" feel.

Set up is key..............
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Two weekends ago I rode the Marta SL's 2009 in very muddy conditions. After a while a clear 'judder' feeling in both the front and rear brake could be felt. The bike / brakes were properly cleaned and air dried afterwards. Yesterday we went out for a ride, and I was very amazed that every time I braked, the whole front fork / rear triangle vibrated : like braking on cobble stones. Afters 50km the feeling was still present. I inspected the contact area of the pads on the wave rotor : only the upper & lower part showed marks of the pads rubbing the discs - perhaps sanding the pads a little will cure this?

Not very good in my opinion - perhaps due to the extra pad material touching the spokes of the rotor, the new '09 models are more subject to judder ? What do you advise? I'll think I'll mount some (round) Formula rotors instead of Magura's wave rotors for my next ride. This is a problem that is popping up on more and more websites. Perhaps back to the drawing board for the disc / pad combination?

Here's an image of the pads :

mtbr member
    I found following pic of the new discs, the Storm SL on this site

Available as of august ... so don't hold your breath

Will it be available earlier for the consumers that are suffering the judder issue?

If they now would have matchmakers for SRAM's XX triggers, the brake would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow
    I found following pic of the new discs, the Storm SL on this site
    Link doesn't work for me?

*edit* can't access ride-downhill.de itself.........maybe too many visitors .

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm not sure how it will stop compared to their other marta sl rotors because it seems to have a lot of cut out material on the disk, but I like the way it looks.!!!!
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.