mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Magura Marta Problem, sticky lever / piston

My front brake, a Marta, has a problem. I pull the lever in and it stays there. It doesn't pop back out like its supposed to. This causes the pads to drag on the rotor but when I push it back out the pistons retract and all is good again. Tonight I pulled the pads, pushed the pistons out and cleaned around them with some Magura Blood, pushed them in and pumped them back out a few times. Then I bled the brake thinking maybe there was some air or something. After I got everything back together I still have the same problem. Is there something in the lever assembly I can check or fix to cure this problem?

Let go lightly

Sticky piston on my Marta's

I was just about to post a similar problem. One of the pistons on the caliper sticks leading to drag on the rotor after I use the brakes. Magura sent some suggestions on fixing this that involved pumping the brake lever to extend the sticky piston then pushing it back in. This alleviates the problem for a SHORT period of time but doesn't fix it. I have another email to Magura but no response yet. If anyone has a fix to the sticky caliper piston problem please help. I have a 24 hour event this weekend and don't need any friction!!

Thanks,

Alex
    Support trails, support access. Join IMBA and your local advocates - SVMTB. www.svmtb.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My wifes had the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Burger
    My front brake, a Marta, has a problem. I pull the lever in and it stays there. It doesn't pop back out like its supposed to. This causes the pads to drag on the rotor but when I push it back out the pistons retract and all is good again. Tonight I pulled the pads, pushed the pistons out and cleaned around them with some Magura Blood, pushed them in and pumped them back out a few times. Then I bled the brake thinking maybe there was some air or something. After I got everything back together I still have the same problem. Is there something in the lever assembly I can check or fix to cure this problem?
    Turned out it was gunk in the lever blade pivot. I shot a bit of WD-40 in there and it was instantly better.

It's been fine for the last 4-5 months after doing that.

Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

awesome!!!

I just sprayed some WD-40 on that pivot and it instantly worked. Lever returns and no more rubbing. Great, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    Turned out it was gunk in the lever blade pivot. I shot a bit of WD-40 in there and it was instantly better.

It's been fine for the last 4-5 months after doing that.

Dave