mtbr member
    May 2008

Magura Marta lever feel very stiff

HI guys, this is the first time I bleed disc brakes.
    I think I got the rear correctly. However, the front feel very stiff when pull on the lever. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    Or you have the front properly bled but the rear still has air in it. Very common on those brakes I believe. Make sure you take the calipers loose and tip them up so the brake line hose exits at the top. Also there are a couple methods I've seen to bleed them. One with the 2 syringes; one with a syringe at the caliper and the vent bleed hose dropped into a bottle of Magura Blood instead. I looked at a Cannondale which had a horribly mushy rear brake feel while the front was fine. I believe it was a bleed issue. Even once things are right it's possible the rear brake will not feel totally as solid as the front due to hose length allowing some slight expansion compared to the front's shorter hose length.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    the rear feels good. i'm concerning on the front, since it feel really stiff... it's lightly rub agains the rotor right now.

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    Make sure one piston isn't sticking. If they're free then just retract them manually; leave the pads in and gently pry them back apart with a thin screwdriver. Then reinstall the caliper and make sure it's centered up; may need to use spacers between caliper and mounts if it's an IS mount. Then gently pump up the brakes and see if both pistons extend as pads move to the rotor.