mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Magura Louise - What can you tell me?

What can you tell me about these Magura Louise brakes?

I have a old frame I want to build up, but the disc brake mount is in a very tight space, and I think the Louise is one of the few brakes which can fit. However, I don't know anything about them, if they suck, or if they're even worth using.

They'd be used on a pump track / play bike.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Those are pretty old...if they fit, they'll work just fine, as long as you can bleed/service, I wouldn't sweat it.
    Besides, what are your other options?

Don't get me wrong, I love my louises (1 on a AM/FR and 1 on a pumptrack bike (rear only), but I haven't run that style/year before.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Do you know if they were twin piston, or did it have one fixed and one moving piston?

I can bleed and service them without a problem. I'd just hope they don't need constant servicing.

Aside from those my options are pretty limited. Certain Hope brakes might possibly work, but I've never been a Hope fan, plus they're expensive. A old 22mm Hayes would also work, but they're expensive, hard to find, and I was never a fan. Finally, I could also run this completely heinous adapter:
    Last edited by bad mechanic; 07-08-2012 at 05:01 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hmm...good questions. Here is a link on the magura forum - they look like 2001 to me.
    2000/2001 Louise Service - MAGURA Community
    manual in english is linked near the bottom. wish i could help more!

T.W.O.
    22mm mount, nice. I have not seen one in a while. The problem you may have is the replacement parts I'm not sure if the parts would be readily available. Bleeding on that louise is quite straight forward, I only had to do it once when I had it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    22mm mount, nice. I have not seen one in a while.
    Yup, I'm building up my spare Homegrown frame. It just fits me so well. Unfortunately, the original geometry, which I prefer, was only available with a disc brake mount one year, and it was the 22mm.

"El Whatever"
    No specific info on those Louise, but I had a set of 2002 Julies that I came with a bike I bought second hand and I gave those brakes to a friend of mine back when I updated my brakes to 2007 Louise.

He's still riding those 2002 Julies. Only issue was a master cylinder that had to be replaced back in 2006.

Check on ebay seller "Braking1", a gut feeling tells me they're related to Magura USA somehow and sometimes they have spares for old brakes.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think those are second gen Louises (first ones had manual adjust pad on the other side and the last one before being discontinued was fourth generation)? Biggest drawback is that the pad movement is very little compared to most modern brakes - the problem is most apparent when adapters are involved.
    I had a similar 22mm adapter problem with a size small Klein, there is A2Z adapter which is much smaller than pictured as it places the cylinder between seat and chainstays. It was extremely tight fit on a bit newer Louise cylinder and there was insane amount of noise no matter what fix was tried.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by markom View Post
    I think those are second gen Louises (first ones had manual adjust pad on the other side and the last one before being discontinued was fourth generation)? Biggest drawback is that the pad movement is very little compared to most modern brakes - the problem is most apparent when adapters are involved.
    I had a similar 22mm adapter problem with a size small Klein, there is A2Z adapter which is much smaller than pictured as it places the cylinder between seat and chainstays. It was extremely tight fit on a bit newer Louise cylinder and there was insane amount of noise no matter what fix was tried.
    Great. That A2Z adapter you mention is the one I plan on using.

Do you know if the low pad travel can be compensated for by using newer master cylinders / brake levers?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Great. That A2Z adapter you mention is the one I plan on using.

Do you know if the low pad travel can be compensated for by using newer master cylinders / brake levers?
    On my project I removed most of paint from frame mounting points and adapter and it had some positive effects but I couldn't get the cylinder aligned properly. The noise issue might be from brakes though as the same brakes make a lot of noise On-one Scandal frame as well.

I have no idea if other brakes would have helped in my case, I didn't want to put much money into this project. Now there are more postmount brakes available so there could be a better chance for custom adapter to work properly.