mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Magura Louise vs Avid Elixer

Just bought a super sweet specialized SJ FSR Elite which came with some very nice Avid Elixer's. I had been riding a new pair of Magura Louise brakes which I really liked also with the added bonus of not requiring DOT brake fluid. Save the environment and stop just as fast
    I did want to swap out the elixer's for the magura's but wanted to get some more experienced opinions on whether I was going up or down in terms of braking power and reliability, etc.
    Anyone, anyone, Beuller, beuller?

TNC
    noMAD man
    Have you ridden that bike with the Elixirs in place? The SJ FSR Elite with those brakes is the bike that caused me to buy a leftover '08 SJ FSR and install Elixirs on it...came with Juicy's. We received a test '09 SJ FSR Elite, and I was thoroughly impressed. It's been an excellent compliment to my Nomad. The '08 and '09 models are basically the same.

The Elixirs are the most powerful 2-piston brakes I've ridden to this point. In fact, the '08/'09 SJ FSR's come with 203/185 rotors, and I felt the brakes were a bit too strong. I stepped down a rotor size on each end...185/160...and it was perfect. I even swapped my Hayes Mags on my Nomad for the Elixirs. I've tried the Louise models, and they are good brakes, but I don't think they're as strong as the Elixirs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for posting up TNC.
    I'll give it some thought. Maybe switch em out this weekend and compare for myself before I leave it alone.
    Can I use the elixir rotors with the magura brakes without hurting anything?

TNC
    noMAD man
    Not sure on exact rotor compatibility. I'm sure someone will check in on that one.

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    I would agree with TNC in that the Elixirs are the powerful brakes that I've ever got to ride with. Highly recommended!