mtbr member
    May 2009

magura louise questions

so i'm about to trim the lines on a new set of louise brakes, but the instructions with the small service kit don't mention the bleed valve on my 09 brakes. what am i supposed to do differently? or do i still need to open the reservoir cover and remove fluid simultaneously with the second syringe (+ additional person)?

also, there seems to be some oil all over one of my brake levers, but not the other. incidentally, that brake, the rear, feels softer after contact and takes more pull than the front to make initial contact. both lever pull adjustment screws are all the way in. i thought they were prebled at the factory. is it possible that it leaked in shipping? if so, where should i check to see if there is a leak?

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I got a new set of Louise BATs a few weeks ago and I had to swap around the levers to the way I'm used to and shorten the lines. I didn't have to perform a bleed at all.
    All I did was follow the instructions in the manual - push the pistons back flush with the caliper body, angle brake lever up 15 degrees, disconnect hoses, shorten, swap hoses/levers over (if required), push the new insert into the end of the hose and put a new olive on, re-connect hoses and tighten up.

You shouldn't need to touch the bleed valve or the reservoir cover if the instructions are followed.

If you have oil over one of the levers, check that the reservoir cover bolts are tight and that the hose connection to the lever is solid and tightened to the correct torque. Failing that, it may just have been excess fluid.
    My rear brake seems to be a little softer and have more lever travel than the front but that's usually the case with rear brakes due to the longer lines. I've compensated for the difference with the BAT.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    yeah, i thought of that. but these lines are the same length since i haven't trimmed them yet.