mtbr member

Magura Louise Questions

Hi. I would like to know if the Magura Louise Alloy has better stopping power than the Juicy7 / XTR M975 calipers that my neighbour and I both have. I am looking at 203mm F/160mm R. Right now we have 180/160. We really need to upgrade as we will be riding more decents and I am 230LBS. He is 170LBS.

- Is Magura an upgrade?

- Are the Ventidiscs really worth getting?

- What pad come stock with Louise? Resin?

I would really like the Gustav m but they are out of my spending range.

Should i just get some Formula Brakes and call it quits?

Thank you
    Last edited by gdl357; 06-14-2007 at 10:50 AM.

No, that's not phonetic
    In my experience the Louises have a bit less raw power than J7s given the same rotor size. I need to go up about 10 or 15mm in rotor size in the Louises to match the J7s. I never had fade issues with the J7s so if you like them otherwise, just get a bigger rotor (200f / 180r) and adapters to match. That would be by far the easiest and cheapest way to bump power and fight fade. I like my Maguras better for consistent and silent performance in the wet. I also like the slightly greater pad retraction compared to the J7s. Otherwise the J7s are a very nice brake. The Ventidiscs seem like a gimmick to me and seem to interfere with some forks. The Louises come with a semi-metallic pad called the Endurance compound, but I've never seen a description of the pad's makeup and the recipes for pads is often proprietary anyway. They have a different pad that is supposed to offer more bite ("Performance" pads), but I like the stock pads so never messed with the others much.

There are a lot of pads available for the J7s. Tell us what you want and maybe we can get some more mileage out of your current brakes.

I have only demoed the XTRs, so I don't have much to say there. The new Formulas are nice though.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gdl357
    Hi. I would like to know if the Magura Louise Alloy has better stopping power than the Juicy7 / XTR M975 calipers that my neighbour and I both have. I am looking at 203mm F/160mm R. Right now we have 180/160. We really need to upgrade as we will be riding more decents and I am 230LBS. He is 170LBS.

- Is Magura an upgrade?

- Are the Ventidiscs really worth getting?

- What pad come stock with Louise? Resin?

I would really like the Gustav m but they are out of my spending range.

Should i just get some Formula Brakes and call it quits?

Thank you
    I have used all three brakes you mentioned and the short answer is yes, the louise brakes have the best stopping power by far. They are my least favoured brakes out of the ones mentioned though for other reasons.