mtbr member

Magura louise leaking

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone can help me to figure out if there is some risk of leak on my Magura’s Louise?

Yesterday I was bleeding my brakes on a hurry and dumb me forgot to put the yellow think that hold the caliper pistons apart. When I pushed oil through the circuit the oil started pushing the pistons out. And since there were no pads (or anything for that matter) to keep the pistons apart, eventually one of the pistons went out of place and let the oil flow out from that place; actually a lot of oil came out through the piston. After some self cursing , I pushed the piston back to its place; which was really easy to do. I then continued to bleed the brakes and looked for leaks at the pistons; I closed the circuit and pushed the levers really hard to build up pressure but I couldn’t find any leak.

I couldn´t find a diagram of the caliper, but something tells me there must be a seal or o-ring behind the piston. If this is the case, I am worried that when I the piston came out said seal went out of place as well and now I have a risk of leak on the system. I tested the brakes and all seems to be fine.

What would you advice to check in order to be sure everything is ok? Does anyone has a diagram of the caliper assembly? I rather do a complete check up and find everything is fine, that finding I have a problem on the trail.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I think the only seal is the lip seal around the edge of the piston. I'd just see how it goes, I know that they sometimes leak if there are deposits on the piston surface that sometimes disturb the lip seal but it sounds as though you managed to get the piston back in square without damaging the sel..
    Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

mtbr member
    Thanks marmoset!

I´ll do a closer inspection. Now that you mentioned, I do remember seen a small piece of debris coming though the syringe when i was bleeding, I may have to re-check the lip seal and maybe replace the whole fluid in the brake...

Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo