mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Magura Louise FR Front Brake Path Issues

Installing a set of older Louise FRs for the first time, and having some issues with the front. Horizontal alignment is perfect, but only contacting 4mm on the outer edge of the rotor (did a sharpie test).

Mounting an IS caliper to a post mount fork (sherman), using adapter #3 and a 180mm rotor, which is the correct setup per the manuals. Do I need to have my post mount faced? Seems like it needs to come in another 3-4mm, which would be a lot of material off of the posts.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Don't cut the post mounts down or face them.

Post a side on photo of the set-up so we can see what you have.

The IS mount Magura Louise FR came in more then one size, there's a 'short arm' model which is for a 160mm front rotor or a 140mm rear rotor and a 'long arm' model which is for a 180mm front rotor or a 160mm rear rotor.

It sounds like you probably have the 'long arm' model, if you have this caliper you'll have to use a 200mm rotor if you want to use the current 180mm (+20mm) adapter that you have.

You could also use a 160mm adapter like the one which can be seen on this link which will allow you to use your current 180mm rotor.

Last edited by cobba; 07-30-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Ow!
    If you are using the #3 adapter with a short arm, then it should work with a 180mm rotor. Only 4mm contact is way off, so:

Do you have it on backwards (no disrepect, I have done that more than once)?

Is the post mount on your fork other than 6"? I know some of the bigger forks come with bigger post mounts. You can check with your fork manufacturer just to be sure.

These are the only possibilities I came up with. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Looks like a short arm to me. Fork is a Sherman 150mm - should be a 6" post.

Nothing dumb going on - adapter won't physically fit any other way, backwards, front/rear switched etc.

+20mm rotor wouldn't fit (10mm radius would put me 5mm off in the other direction) - this makes me doubly sure the Sherman has the right size.

Correct setup per the chart I attached

It was a takeoff, previously set up like this with the 180 on a different bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magura Louise FR Front Brake Path Issues-magura.jpg  

Magura Louise FR Front Brake Path Issues-magurachart.jpg  

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    That looks like a 'long arm' 180mm front/160mm rear caliper to me.

A bigger rotor is needed.
    The 160mm adapter that I previously linked will not work on your fork as the bottom post mount on it is too short for it to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by pedal2 View Post
    It was a takeoff, previously set up like this with the 180 on a different bike.
    Did it have that 180mm adapter on it previously ?

Last edited by cobba; 08-01-2012 at 12:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I don't think it's a long arm - look at the picture in the chart: the long arm is 'skinny' and rectangular. On mine the short arm is 'fat' and triangular. Take my picture, flip it vertically and the outline matches the one on the chart pretty closely. The prior owner used this adapter too.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    I don't think it's a long arm - look at the picture in the chart: the long arm is 'skinny' and rectangular. On mine the short arm is 'fat' and triangular.
    Your brake is from a different year to the one on the chart, that's why it's a slightly different shape. If you were to use a grinder or file on your 'fat triangle' arm you could make it look like the 'skinny rectangular' arm on the chart.

Take my picture, flip it vertically and the outline matches the one on the chart pretty closely.
    Those brakes on the chart are the right way up if you were to fit them to a fork, the hydraulic hose connects to the top of them just above the little black dot which can be see on the silver models.
    If you were to flip your caliper 180 degrees on the vertical to match the shape of a caliper on the chart, your hydraulic hose would be attached to the bottom of the your caliper and the IS mounts would be on the opposite side (the spoke side of the rotor) to where they currently are which would make it impossible to attach the caliper to the fork.

The prior owner used this adapter too.
    The previous owner must of had it wrongly set-up too.

Do the following brakes look the same as yours ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magura-Louise-Front-Rear-Black-Brake-Caliper-0721548-/360177952457?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGURA-LOUISE-FR-BRAKE-CALIPER-180mm-FRONT-160mm-REAR-VGC-WITH-PADS-MARTA-CLARA-/110919867900?

This photo is the 'short arm' 160mm front/140mm rear caliper with the 180mm adapter No.3 and a 180mm rotor.

Last edited by cobba; 08-19-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Ow!
    Yep, your caliper looks different than mine. Maybe you have an ealier version than what is pictured in the chart? I recommend to call the Magura USA folks to see what they say (best not to email, just call). They were very helpful years ago when I called them, I bet they still are.

Good luck.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by clydecrash View Post
    Yep, your caliper looks different than mine. Maybe you have an earlier version than what is pictured in the chart?
    The OP has the 2003 model.

"El Whatever"
    Cobba is right.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the help. I don't think that adapter will clear the sherman - see attached pic I found from the net of a clearance issue, and thats on a fork with a prominent tab. The lower tab on the sherman barely sticks out.

Come to think of it, I had a similar IS-PM issue with a shimano brake on a manitou fork long ago. Brake even came with a special 170mm rotor and adapter to improve the clearance, but ironically, that one didn't fit either.

I guess I'm going to try a spare avid 185mm rotor. +2.5mm should get it close. If that doesn't work, i'll go to 203, and space it upward. If -that- doesn't work, I dunno, will have already put more money into a 10-y/o brake than it's worth, and just throw it in the bin. Surprised by the performance of these brakes though, you'd think 10-year old brakes would be lame by today's standards - lever feel has certainly gotten better since then - but overall power and performance is just fine.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    I don't think that adapter will clear the sherman - see attached pic I found from the net of a clearance issue, and thats on a fork with a prominent tab. The lower tab on the sherman barely sticks out.
    It's already been mentioned about that.

I guess I'm going to try a spare avid 185mm rotor. +2.5mm should get it close.
    A 2.5mm bigger rotor will make very little difference and you'll still have the pads overhanging the outer edge of the rotor.

Overhanging pads are a big no no with disc brakes.
    As the section of pads that contacts the rotor wears down, you'll be left with an unworn section on the pads, when the worn pad sections wear down enough the unworn sections will be able to press against each other which will result in none or very little brake power.

The big circular part of the caliper is where the piston and brake pads are located, your rotor should be going through that part of the brake which can bee seen in this photo. The brake in the photo is the 'long arm' 180mm front / 160mm rear mounted on a IS fork with a 180mm rotor.

Just get 200mm rotor, it's what you need and it'll solve your problems

160 + 20 + 20 = 200

Fork with 160mm post mounts + 180mm caliper (+20mm) + 180mm adapter (+20mm) = 200mm rotor.

Last edited by cobba; 08-19-2012 at 12:28 AM.

"El Whatever"
    Thanks for the help. I don't think that adapter will clear the sherman - see attached pic I found from the net of a clearance issue, and thats on a fork with a prominent tab. The lower tab on the sherman barely sticks out.

Come to think of it, I had a similar IS-PM issue with a shimano brake on a manitou fork long ago. Brake even came with a special 170mm rotor and adapter to improve the clearance, but ironically, that one didn't fit either.

I guess I'm going to try a spare avid 185mm rotor. +2.5mm should get it close. If that doesn't work, i'll go to 203, and space it upward. If -that- doesn't work, I dunno, will have already put more money into a 10-y/o brake than it's worth, and just throw it in the bin. Surprised by the performance of these brakes though, you'd think 10-year old brakes would be lame by today's standards - lever feel has certainly gotten better since then - but overall power and performance is just fine.

Mmmmmhhh... I think you have long arm front brake.

The Louise FR will only work on PM mounts and adapter 3 with 180mm rotors if it is a SHORT arm. See pic off from the manual you can get here....

http://www.magura.com/uploads/media/...R_2003_WSD.pdf

I think Cobba is right that you need the 200mm rotor.

Check out this thread...

Needed: Brake Adaptors for 2006 Louise FRs? - Page 2 - North Shore Mountain Biking Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magura Louise FR Front Brake Path Issues-magura01.jpg  

Check my Site

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    OP get in contact with bear and tscheezy they've used the long arm Louise FR on PM forks with adapter No. 3 and 200mm / 203mm rotors.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Any updates on your 'Brake Path Issues'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yes, an update - ordered a generic 8" alligator rotor, was backordered, finally got it in. As expected, it hit on the inside of the caliper, but just a little bit, so I spaced the post mount out with a washer ~1mm thick, and....success.

Worth mentioning again for bargain bin spare brakes these work great. Lever feel isn't as smooth as today's brakes but for overall performance - it reinforces that rotor size/heat management is key - even the most expensive 2013 6"' brakes still fade on long, heavy descents, air boils into the lines so you have to bleed more, seals melt and leak, etc. Compare this to "Obsolete" mineral oil brakes with 7-8 inch rotors, probably haven't been bled in 5 years, and rock out fine on 20+ min descents.