mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Magura Louise Carbon or Avid Elixir 7 or Avid Elixir R SL

I have all three brakesets in hand, currently have the R SL installed but am wondering if either the Elixir 7 or Magura are a significant upgrade. I do XC singletrack, no drops and nothing too wild.

mtbr member
    Louise rips the nuts off anything Avid has ever made, IMO. She's probably the lowest and easiest maintenance brake you can get, and power, modulation and fade resistance are way, way better than any Elixir I've tried.

I believe she's heavier than the Rsl, so if if what you have on is powerful enough for you, it might not be a significant upgrade. Personally, I find better brakes affect my speed more than a little weight, so I know which way I'd go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That's good to hear, seems to concur with all the internet research. Can I modify the Avid bleed kits to bleed the Magura?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have avid X0, stay away. Go find something that works.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Endo73 View Post
    I have avid X0, stay away. Go find something that works.
    Can I ask what issues you're having?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sure thing.

I have the 2011 version of the X0 brakes. I won them at a bike festival.

First off they are very difficult to get bled right to begin with. Spongy feeling, can never seem to get air out of the lever. Iíll pull on it with the syringe and get bubbles out forever, and then seal it up tight and it still doesnít work, Iíll hook it back up and pull more air out. That could just be me though Ė I took it in once and the mechanic got it working well. He apparently knew what he was doing. I hate trying to do it though.

They howl. God do they howl, chattery, turkey gobbling sounds. If I put anti squeal brake grease on the back side of the pad it goes away for a while. Iíve sanded the pads and rotors and that helps for a while, but it always comes back.

Lastly Ė the braking power has never been that good. I can pull as hard as I want on the front lever and it would never lock up.

Iím just not impressed.

The Sram X9 drivetrain though Ė love it. But Iíll be looking to get XT brakes though this winter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Awesome, I'll go with the Magura and sell the Avids. Thanks.