mtbr member

Magura Louise BAT vs Shimano XT 775

I hate my Avid Elixir CR's and ditching them ASAP...Have heard great things about both the Magura Louise and XT's...I can get the XT's with bolts, adapters, and rotors for $285 and the Magura Louise with bolts, adapters, and rotors for about $265. Price is just about the same...What would you go with and why??????

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have both of these brakes. Personally, I think that the Louise BATs (180/180) are more powerful than the XTs (180/160). Modulation on both is about the same - very good compared to Juicy 7s I had previously (that the BATs replaced) which were more on/off and IMO harder to control.

The reach adjust of the XT levers covers a wider range than the BATs - in fact if you have small hands/short fingers you might struggle with the Maguras.

For me both brakes have been silent in all conditions. I have a lot more mileage on the XTs than the BATs.
    The XTs have been generally trouble-free except for some sticky pistons and bleeding them took some time (mine are some of the first of the M775 models from 08 and I believe Shimano may have made them easier to bleed since through some redesign).
    Initially, I had some issues in wet conditions with the Maguras but that is sorted now, other than that they have been faultless.
    Pad wear on both is excellent. I run metal pads in the XTs and the performance pads in the Louise. Both last way longer than the metal pads that I ran in the J7s.
    The lever feel on both brakes are different. There is a lot more pull on my BATs before the pads engage than on my XTs. This could just be the way I have them setup or that I haven't bled the Louise properly but I'm happy enough with both brakes.

Personally, if I was to choose between the 2 again I'd go with the Magura Louise BATs.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Louises. Have not tried XTs, but are very satisfied with my Maguras.

As for the prices - you should be able to get both Louises or XTs for lower than what you've quoted, if you look around a bit.
    Even just this morning I saw a classifieds ad right here for '11 XTs for $150 (less rotors, I think, but still a great price), and I bought my Louises (not BAT, less rotors) for about $110 brand new from an ebay store. I know I've seen BATs for not much more, around $150-160 maybe? So unless you absolutely need brand new matching rotors, there are some great prices out there.

mtbr member
    I missed out on the XT's in the classifieds this morning....I just ordered the Louises...Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    I have had both also. I prefer the Magura Louise brakes across the board.

wuss
    Don't have Louise now, but had two pairs and 1 marta. They are great brakes, trouble free, silent with good modulation.

Bike to the Bone...
    Louises are great, silent (both in trails and threads, i usually don't find that much info on the net), smooth. I moved to Elixirs R.... while I will give the Elixirs a try, I'm feeling of putting the Louises back on with Storm rotors and rebleed and new pads....