DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Magura Louise BAT

I'm thinking of switching to either the 09 Louise BAT or the Louise Carbon from my current 08 Juicy 7s (185mm F&R), that I'm not particularly happy with, on my Slayer SXC.
    The problems I've had with my J7s is they tend to fade and the pad wear is pretty shocking (sintered/metal pads) even after bedding in properly and they're pretty much on/off in modulation terms.
    I'm weighing in around 80kg (~180lbs) XC/AM rider and ride mostly in damp to wet conditions with the occasional dry spell - no global warming here!

I've done a search and I've found a few things on here about these Maguras but not too much.

I don't have the opportunity to test these out before a potential purchase so what I'd like to know, from the people who own or have previously owned them (from 07 onwards), is how do they compare to the J7s or Shimano M775 XTs (which I have on my HT and find great)? What problems, if any, have you had with them? Are/were you running Ventidisc or SL rotors? If you've moved on to something else, to what and why?
    If you have a few pics, it'd be nice to see them installed too.
    Thanks.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

New question here.

Does anyone have any experience with these brakes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    the j7 isnt known for fading or fast pad wear. it would be cheaper to use pads more suitable for wet conditions. also, being not too heavy, you may consider improving your braking. and of course, you can always put a 203 in the front.

banned
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DGB
    I'm thinking of switching to either the 09 Louise BAT or the Louise Carbon from my current 08 Juicy 7s (185mm F&R), that I'm not particularly happy with, on my Slayer SXC.
    The problems I've had with my J7s is they tend to fade and the pad wear is pretty shocking (sintered/metal pads) even after bedding in properly and they're pretty much on/off in modulation terms.
    I'm weighing in around 80kg (~180lbs) XC/AM rider and ride mostly in damp to wet conditions with the occasional dry spell - no global warming here!

I've done a search and I've found a few things on here about these Maguras but not too much.

I don't have the opportunity to test these out before a potential purchase so what I'd like to know, from the people who own or have previously owned them (from 07 onwards), is how do they compare to the J7s or Shimano M775 XTs (which I have on my HT and find great)? What problems, if any, have you had with them? Are/were you running Ventidisc or SL rotors? If you've moved on to something else, to what and why?
    If you have a few pics, it'd be nice to see them installed too.
    Thanks.
    Heres my picks in your price range
    slx or xt
    formula k18 or 24
    elixr r

mtbr member
    There is lots of info on this site about the Magura Louise - they are a VERY good system.

Personally I am not a huge fan of the ventidisc rotor - it does look bling though, but it is heavy.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brake jack
    the j7 isnt known for fading or fast pad wear. it would be cheaper to use pads more suitable for wet conditions. also, being not too heavy, you may consider improving your braking. and of course, you can always put a 203 in the front.
    I'm already using Avid sintered pads and they're still pretty bad.
    I have M775 XTs on my HT (180/160mm) and they're good brakes, the pads on them (Metal/Sintered) lasted ~900km in the local conditions and they've never suffered from fade. IMO I don't need (or want) a 203 rotor, the 185mm should be more than able to cope with my weight and what I'm throwing at it.

Quote Originally Posted by 29ERCAT
    Heres my picks in your price range
    slx or xt
    formula k18 or 24
    elixr r
    I already have XTs but would like something different and with a split clamp; I have no interest in the Formulas as replacement pads and spares are scarce/pricey where I am and I'm slow to consider the Elixirs after being disappointed by the J7s and other people's J5s.

I'm interested in the Maguras because spares/pads are readily available and will become more so now that the pads across the whole 09 Magura range (except the Gustav) are common, they're cheaper than the Avid/Formula/Hope alternatives and they fit my XC/AM requirements.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks 006_007. I just found that thread in the DH forum that was started about the same time as this one.
    I'm not that interested in the Ventidisc rotors. I actually prefer the look of the drilled SL rotors.

...In the meantime.
    I have the latest iteration of the BAT carbon (08+) with the SL rotors (no venti's) and they are for lack of a better description...lovely. Setup is easy-peezy and they are dead silent. Modulation is excellent, power is excellent. So far so good. Bleeding on the new model is super simple with the new bleed port. So basically I can't complain. They ain't the lightest, or the prettiest but they work and they work very well indeed. These have replaced my venerable and dead reliable 04 Louise FR's. In short GREAT brake.