Live to Ride.Ride to Live

Magura Louise 06-07-08

I own 2 pairs of Magura Louise FR 2006 (5Spot, Banshee Scirocco ) and one 2007 (Dirtbag).

Both year models feel great, but the 06 ones feel much much better than the 07. The brakes are much more smooth and gentle than the 07.

There is someone with both year models here, do you feel any difference? How does the 08 feel compared to them?

Since Magura redesigned the Louise for 08, it makes me wonder why? were the 07 ones not good enough? they sticked to the 06 model design for 3-4years, right?

I'm currently having a PM issue since both 06s are IS. I'm thinking of buying a front FR 06 PM and keeping the loved 06's. The other option, much more expensive, is swapping to the 08 model.
    I'd like to meet the guy who invented beer and see what he's working on now.

No, that's not phonetic
    Do you have the BAT levers on the 07s?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    The 2006 models had the different rotor sizes 210/190mm and were IS mounts, because that started to become exotic (PM all over the place...) they changed the 2007 model to 203mm 180mm discs and PM (more common on forks adapters etc.)
    The 2007 however kept the monoblock design and was quite expensive to produce, should feel good therefore.
    The 2008 model gets a 2 piece caliper and the BAT lever. This is due to manufacturing cost(caliper), the 2008 Louises also got cheaper for the customer, in order to keep up with the competitors. Also the OEM price got closer to the official dealer price. (donīt know the english words )

The BAT feature works different than say Avids or Formulas pad adjustments. Itīs just a spring, which is preloaded with the red knob, does do a little difference but not much. Magura says they did implement that because the market WANTs it, they donīt find it particularly useful, but it doesnīt hurt either.

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Radius
    I own 2 pairs of Magura Louise FR 2006 (5Spot, Banshee Scirocco ) and one 2007 (Dirtbag).

Both year models feel great, but the 06 ones feel much much better than the 07. The brakes are much more smooth and gentle than the 07.

There is someone with both year models here, do you feel any difference? How does the 08 feel compared to them?

Since Magura redesigned the Louise for 08, it makes me wonder why? were the 07 ones not good enough? they sticked to the 06 model design for 3-4years, right?

I'm currently having a PM issue since both 06s are IS. I'm thinking of buying a front FR 06 PM and keeping the loved 06's. The other option, much more expensive, is swapping to the 08 model.
    What setup are you trying to achieve with the PM ? I presume your front caliper is a 180 IS mount, if so then you could try what i am going to do and use this adaptor and space it off the fork with a 5mm spacer http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=21525 and then you should still be able to use the 210mm disc. The adaptor adds 20mm so if you wanted to use the 180mm then it can't be done, and also if the fork has 8" postmounts then you would need a 223mm disc.

This might also be of interest to you, i think it's a short leg IS caliper with a postmount adaptor rather than a postmount caliper, so if your using or may use a 8" postmount fork in the future it might not be for you. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=9455
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

~~~~~~~~
    Sounds like what I have going on.
    What forks?
    I have my old Louise FR's mounted on a IS fork with 180 rotor and I have the 07's PM caliper with old FR levers on a 203 PM fork. I couldn't get the reach adjusted close enough on the BAT levers so they are just sitting in the box.

When I want to run a PM fork with the old FR's and a 180 rotor I have to swap the caliper for a short arm. Planning on replacing the IS fork with a PM fork permanently so should be done with the long arm caliper soon.

Was also thinking about splitting the set of 07 calipers running them on the forks of both bikes with the old IS ones on the rears. Only problem I see with this is not having the same pads front and rear and not being able to switch them in an emergency.

Anyway, not much help, but I do have a nice pile of Louise parts and want to get rid of all the excess soon. The new caliper/old lever setup could be more powerful too, so maybe that isn't such a great setup. I've been on some Shimano brakes lately and they feel more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Do you have the BAT levers on the 07s?
    Yap, BAT levers on the 07s.

Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE
    What setup are you trying to achieve with the PM ? I presume your front caliper is a 180 IS mount, if so then you could try what i am going to do and use this adaptor and space it off the fork with a 5mm spacer http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=21525 and then you should still be able to use the 210mm disc. The adaptor adds 20mm so if you wanted to use the 180mm then it can't be done, and also if the fork has 8" postmounts then you would need a 223mm disc.

This might also be of interest to you, i think it's a short leg IS caliper with a postmount adaptor rather than a postmount caliper, so if your using or may use a 8" postmount fork in the future it might not be for you. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=9455
    My caliper is a FR, 180 IS out of the box.
    The plan is to try and get a 07' 36 Talas and avoid the whole trouble, but it's getting hard to lay my hands on a 07', so i'm considering a 08' which comes with PM.
    I'm aware of the 5mm spacers issue, but I dont like the idea...
    I saw the the Magura's in CRC, it's an option i'm thinking of.