Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    thats right living legend

Magura Louis Post Mount- IS Adapter... WTF!

I'm absolutley clueless in the first place, but I'm ready to start pulling my hair out! I ordered an adapter for my new Louis FR's from my LBS, but my 180mm rotor wouldn't reach. So I ordered a 203mm rotor online "Venti" and I just mounted it all up, but it appears like it dosen't "quit" reach all the way either! It goes between the calipers, but just barely. So much so, that I'm affraid to pull the lever... WTF!!!

This is 06 Louis's to an 07 AM1SL and I just need some help. I had a rare day off today, and all I want to do is ride my new brakes FINALLY!

I-S
    Magurified
    Ok....

First of all we need more info:

1) What Louise caliper do you have? Long or short leg? I assume it's the long because it's Louise FR.

2) Which adapter did you get?

One thing that immediately occurs to me is that you've got an '06 Louise. 203mm rotors were introduced by Magura for '07 and the old Louise may well not fit 203. You might need the 210mm SL rotor that was the big rotor option for '04-'06. I used to run the 210, but went down to 180 to save weight/flex/etc as I didn't need the extra power.

mtbr member
    The post to ISO adapters come in various forms, but due to geometry, the rotor size must increase by a minimum of 1cm over the stock rotor when using a post mount caliper on a ISO tabbed fork. That means a post caliper for a 160 rotor needs a minimum of a 170 rotor.

I have no ideal which post-ISO adapter was ordered for you, but by your description, it sound like it was the wrong one for a 203 rotor.

Best bet is to call Magura, they will get you the correct parts for your set-up, great customer service.

mtbr member
    I think I went through the same frustration when I tried mating up my 2005 Louise FR to my post mount Marzocchi 06 All Mountain 1.

I ended up having to get a short legged caliper, #17 adapter and a 210mm rotor. You might need something different though since you have a 20mm fork.

There used to be a nifty adapter application chart on Magura's site - but I can't seem to find it now.

Ok...

I did not know that about the 203mm rotor for 06. My fork is post mount 07 AM SL1. My brakes came with 180mm rotors I couldn't find an adapter except for the one the shop ordered which was to big. So I ordered the 203mm thinking ...surly?. The adapter say's 17 on it and, that's all I know. This really SUCKs!!!

Thanks for the reply's... really!

I-S
    Magurified
    Ok... Adapter 17 allows you to use a 210mm disc on post mount with short-leg caliper. That means you just need the 210 rather than the 203 if you have the short leg caliper. If you have the long leg caliper I think you're going to be out of luck.

~~~~~~~~
    you need short arm caliper, #3 adaptor, and 180 rotor.
    or get a 07 PM caliper, there are way more 07 adaptor options.
    Last edited by airwreck; 02-21-2007 at 12:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Found the application chart..see if this helps.

~~~~~~~~
    07 marz post mount is a 160 direct mount, i.e. PM caliper with no adaptor and 160 rotor. 06 Louise needs IS to PM adaptor. 06 maggie calipers/rotors go in 20mm increments. short arm with IS2PM = 180mm rotor, long arm = 200mm rotor (only galfer makes?).

~~~~~~~~
    thanks, it is adaptor number 3, I looked again and saw the 3 on mine now.

No, that's not phonetic
    A good general rule for matching rotors, adapters, and forks: ask here first.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    07 marz post mount is a 160 direct mount, i.e. PM caliper with no adaptor and 160 rotor. 06 Louise needs IS to PM adaptor. 06 maggie calipers/rotors go in 20mm increments. short arm with IS2PM = 180mm rotor, long arm = 200mm rotor (only galfer makes?).

Formula and Hope also make 200mm rotors....

BA, it seems it has gotten a bit complicated..... can you return the 203mm Venti and get a 210mm SL / 200mm Hope or Formula rotor?

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Formula and Hope also make 200mm rotors....

BA, it seems it has gotten a bit complicated..... can you return the 203mm Venti and get a 210mm SL / 200mm Hope or Formula rotor?

I can use a 200mm Formula or Hope rotor???

Upset I did...

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    A good general rule for matching rotors, adapters, and forks: ask here first.

Guess I never caught the part about no 203mm rotors for 06.

I-S
    Magurified
    No. Assuming you have the short-leg caliper (if you're not sure, look at the pics on the left side of the chart that dubjay posted) then you need a 210.

Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I can use a 200mm Formula or Hope rotor???
    I was bouncing off airwreck's calculations on the post above....

I don't see any problem compatibility wise.... but as Isaac just posted...you must identify the caliper first to make sure you go on the right path.....

Looks like I've got the "top" caliper on the chart, and the #17 adapter. From what I understand I'll need the 210mm disc option? It looks like it would fit with the 210mm but I don't know any more with this thing?

mtbr member
    Looks like I've got the "top" caliper on the chart, and the #17 adapter. From what I understand I'll need the 210mm disc option? It looks like it would fit with the 210mm but I don't know any more with this thing?
    If you have the top caliper, that's a long legged one - which won't work with any of the post mount forks. If you get your hands on a short legged one (bottom), you can use #17 and the 210mm rotor.

I-S
    Magurified
    You could get adapter #3 and a 200mm disc (your 203 MIGHT work, but no guarantees) with the long leg caliper.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Sibson
    You could get adapter #3 and a 200mm disc (your 203 MIGHT work, but no guarantees) with the long leg caliper.

That's what I was thinking/hoping, anybody know a good place to get it.

No, that's not phonetic
    I ran a long arm caliper with a #3 adapter and a 200mm Hope rotor briefly. The problem was that the Hope rotor's brake track was too narrow for the wide Maggie pads. Since you have a Maggie rotor, that should not be an issue. If the system calls for a 200mm rotor, and you have a 203, it could end up scraping the roof of the rotor slot in the caliper. You could shim the PM caliper out a little (I've done this with my Avids on weird setups).

Magura sells adapters directly. They would probably be the fastest. If you get them on the phone and explain the matter, they will send you the RIGHT parts and it will eliminate a lot of guess work and near misses. They are super folks.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I ran a long arm caliper with a #3 adapter and a 200mm Hope rotor briefly. The problem was that the Hope rotor's brake track was too narrow for the wide Maggie pads. Since you have a Maggie rotor, that should not be an issue. If the system calls for a 200mm rotor, and you have a 203, it could end up scraping the roof of the rotor slot in the caliper. You could shim the PM caliper out a little (I've done this with my Avids on weird setups).

Magura sells adapters directly. They would probably be the fastest. If you get them on the phone and explain the matter, they will send you the RIGHT parts and it will eliminate a lot of guess work and near misses. They are super folks.

I called Magura, and it appears the only answer they could come to was to buy a new calper at 100.00 dollors.

So of anybody sees any sweet closeouts on 06 Louis's and are running an 07 Zoke, just pass I guess.

I called Magura, and it appears the only answer they could come to was to buy a new calper at 100.00 dollors.

So of anybody sees any sweet closeouts on 06 Louis's and are running an 07 Zoke, just pass I guess.
    Auch!

seems you will need to go ghetto on this one... maybe just need to try some of the adapters/rotors... maybe get a 200mm rotor as Isaac sugested before...

bummer!

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Auch!

seems you will need to go ghetto on this one... maybe just need to try some of the adapters/rotors... maybe get a 200mm rotor as Isaac suggested before...

bummer!

I actually don't see any reason why the #3 adapter with my 203mm rotors wouldn't work with some spacers as TS suggested. I mean how could that possibly not work?

I-S
    Magurified
    I actually don't see any reason why the #3 adapter with my 203mm rotors wouldn't work with some spacers as TS suggested. I mean how could that possibly not work?
    Because the spacers would not necessarily (and in fact certainly would not) move the caliper outwards radially.

A possibility would be to look out for a used Louise with the short leg on ebay or similar. If you prefer your lever/lines then stick with them and put the new caliper with them and the adapter you have (and a 210 rotor), and sell the long-leg caliper and additional lever/line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast