mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Which Magura for Knolly Endorphin?

I had a new Endorphin frame built last year, and have been running some older XT's that I had on a previous bike. Not a huge fan of them to date, and I've liked the Marta's on my Titus Motolite. I'm thinking of two (maybe three) options:

Marta's with storm SL rotors 8" front and rear, or:

Louise BAT with the storm SL and either 8" front 6" rear or 8" front and rear. It seems like more riders are starting to run larger rotors on their rear brake as well recently.

Price difference looks to be about $100, which isn't a deal breaker. I'm wondering if I should consider the MT 4's as well-there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of feedback on them yet and I'm assuming they'd be a bit more expensive.

Any insight especially from folks with Magura experience is much appreciated.

Thanks

Hutch is my Hero
    Oct 2005
    I have a small endo and I have marta sl brakes. I love the modulation and stopping power.

I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    It does-thanks. Are you running 6" rotors front and rear?

Bike to the Bone...
    I have a medium endo with Louise BAT brakes. I have a 8in rotor in front and 6in rotor in the rear and it works great. I've tried some Elixir R brakes with 8f/7r but found the 7in in the rear was too much.

I've been thinking of changing them for 2012 XT or MT4, more for UGI than for anything else.

Hutch is my Hero
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    It does-thanks. Are you running 6" rotors front and rear?

I have 6" rotors front and rear. I weigh 145 and have no problems w/ braking. I have thought about going 180mm in the front but at this point it might be a little overkill.

mtbr member
    I have, on various bikes, a set of martas, 4 louises (BAT and non-BAT varieties), and MT6.
    The marta and MT6 I run 180/160, the louises 203/180. I can think of no reason to run the same size front and rear.

Unless you are really concerned about weight, I'd go with louise over marta. Louise has a bit more fluid, and more mass, which seems to handle heat better, and the levers feel more solid to me. It's also one of the most trouble-free bike parts I've ever owned (I have a set that's 5 years old that I've yet to bleed, or do anything to other than change pads).

the MT, obviously I don't have enough time to speak to their durability. The levers have the best shape I've ever used. Mine didn't come pre-bled, but the bleed procedure is so easy, I don't consider it that much of a drawback. I believe the MT4 has BAT (none of the other MTs do), I still haven't decided if I think it's a useful feature or not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks all-exactly the type of helpful feedback I've been looking for.

I'm leaning towards the Louise with BAT, 180 front 160 rear with the storm SL rotors. Looks like Pricepoint has all of that plus the needed adapters at a good price.

mtbr member
    I have Louise BAT (180F/ 160R). On my L Endorphin. I have been having lack of stopping power. Since the day I cut and shortened the cables a bit last year, I cant get the same solid lever feel and power no matter how many times I bled the system.
    Gotta say the Avid brakes I previously had for years were easier to bleed and modulate. And a lot less messy job to do it as well.