mtbr member

Magura Julie Pads

I've got about 500 miles on my Julie's and want to buy a couple of sets of pads to have on hand for the inevitable squeal. Three questions: is it a big deal to change the pads, do they come with installation instructions and are the knockoff pads like E.B.C. and Aztec any good, as they are much cheaper. Thanks in advance.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrimack Dave
    I've got about 500 miles on my Julie's and want to buy a couple of sets of pads to have on hand for the inevitable squeal. Three questions: is it a big deal to change the pads, do they come with installation instructions and are the knockoff pads like E.B.C. and Aztec any good, as they are much cheaper. Thanks in advance.
    Dave
    If you have some basic mechanical skills then it's no problem. To remove the pads just remove the cotter pin and pull the pads out the bottom of the caliper....that's all. Installation is reverse....(assuming you've already removed the wheels). After removing the pads you'll probably need to push the hydraulic pistons in the caliper back into their housings to make more room for the newer thicker pads (be careful not to gouge anything...a plastic tire lever works well for my hayes),

Stay with the stock pads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donyel
    If you have some basic mechanical skills then it's no problem. To remove the pads just remove the cotter pin and pull the pads out the bottom of the caliper....that's all. Installation is reverse....(assuming you've already removed the wheels). After removing the pads you'll probably need to push the hydraulic pistons in the caliper back into their housings to make more room for the newer thicker pads (be careful not to gouge anything...a plastic tire lever works well for my hayes),

Stay with the stock pads.

Thanks for that donyel, I figured the pads were held in place with the cotter pins but didn't want to find out i was wrong when it was too late.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Since the cotter pins tend to break sometimes when you bend them ....You can always find the same pins at autozone or other car parts stores.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrimack Dave
    want to buy a couple of sets of pads to have on hand for the inevitable squeal..............are the knockoff pads like E.B.C. and Aztec any good

This from my Magura Cult site and right from Magura -

"Be aware of companies such as BBB, EBC, etc. using sinterized pad compounds for making pads for our brakes. This can cause overheating and ultimately total brake failure as the inner seals in the caliper will be damaged by the heat. So we strongly recommend using only our organic pads for our brakes. Also, using any other pad or any other part with our brakes will void the warranty." NO sinterized pads!!

And it's not a given that a) your brakes will inevitably squeal and b) that new pads would cure it if they did.

If they do squeal try sanding them off (paper on a flat surface, rub pads on it until shine has gone) and breaking in all over again. This might help.

Mike T. (mcm # 717)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.