Forked!

Magura, Juicy's, or mini's??

I'm about to bite the bullet to get back to disc and just wondered which of these three are the easiest to setup and forget about. I know the setup issues with marta, but really haven't heard a lot about the other two. I am looking hydrau and am I missing outon one by narrowing to these three? Thanks
    [SIZE=1]Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing.[/SIZE]

banned
    I had the juicys-really powerfull with great modulation but was never able to get rid of the rear's metallic grinding and terrible brake feel even after sending them back to avid so i went with the minis and cant say they were love at first sight but now that theyve started working properly im getting more and more pleased with the braking power, modulation and looks (they look really cool) plus theyre lighter than the J7s.

mtbr member
    The Mini's are much lighter than the Juicys, but the Juicys are super-easy to intstall and set up. The Marta SL's are in between in weight, and in between in setup.

I have the 160 Juicys on my newest bike and they have been very powerful and dependable, but still occasionally emit a harmonic shriek that frightens mountain lions at a distance of 3 miles or more. Frankly, it scares the crap out of me, too.

formerly Giantxc
    This winter I installed a Hope Mini on my geared hardtail and an Avid Juicy 7 on my SS and I have to say I've been more pleased with the Juicy. Its more powerful and I installed it and haven't had to think about it twice. The Mini is nice and light but less powerful and I've had more issues with it.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMtnRider
    I'm about to bite the bullet to get back to disc and just wondered which of these three are the easiest to setup and forget about. I know the setup issues with marta, but really haven't heard a lot about the other two. I am looking hydrau and am I missing outon one by narrowing to these three? Thanks
    If you want easy set-up and adjustment, then the Juicy is the best of the 3. Just installed a pair a couple hours ago in fact. Literally about 10 minutes from the time I took them out of the box to have them on the bike (including mounting rotors to the wheels) and perfectly adjusted. The CPS mount is superb, and the lever is the most adjustable also. That said, they are a little heavier than the other 2 as others mentioned (though it sounds like easy install and adjustment is more of a priority to you). Noise issues seem to be mostly with the original wavy rotors, grinding/squeeling don't seem to be common issues with the polygon or round rotors (only occasional reports). The Magura's are great brakes, but are more expensive than the other two and in my opinion you really aren't gaining anything for the extra money spent. Hope's are the nicest aesthetically, absolutely beautiful brakes. Also super easy to work on, don't even need a bleed kit. Weight is also very good.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    The Mini's are much lighter than the Juicys, but the Juicys are super-easy to intstall and set up. The Marta SL's are in between in weight, and in between in setup.

I have the 160 Juicys on my newest bike and they have been very powerful and dependable, but still occasionally emit a harmonic shriek that frightens mountain lions at a distance of 3 miles or more. Frankly, it scares the crap out of me, too.
    Actually, the Marta SLs are much lighter than the Mono Minis. My set of Marta SL weighs 708g/set (uncut lines, fully bled, all hardware, rotors, etc.) with 160mm/160mm rotors. My previous set of Hope Mono Minis weighed 770g/set (uncut lines, fully bled, all hardware, rotors, etc.) with 160mm/140mm rotors...note the smaller rear rotor. Power in the rear is definitely higher in the Martas vs the Hopes. So, not only are the Marta SLs lighter, but they are more powerful and offer better modulation. Plus, they are quiet. I had more than a few really loud squeal sessions with my Monos...my Marta SLs have been dead-quiet. But, the Marta SLs are much, much more expensive than the Monos.

Having recently gone from B4 SLs, to XTR/XTs, to Mono Minis, to B4 SL+s and now to Marta SLs, I have to say my top-2 brakes are the Formula B4 SLs and the Marta SLs. For their weight (631g/set) and size, the B4 SLs are amazing with the best power and modulation I've felt on any disc. The Marta SLs are very close. I find the Marta SLs have a tad more power but slightly less modulation than the B4s. But, I only have ~1 month on the Martas (vs 1 yr + on the B4 SLs), so the brakes may change with time.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet had a chance to try the new J7. I do like the features and would love to try a set.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

banned
    FWIW my J7 problem was both with wavy and regular rotors...BTW 60 gr is not MUCH lighter IMO (regarding the comparison between the SLs and minis)

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed_Mike
    But, the Marta SLs are much, much more expensive than the Monos.
    You don't really gain anything by going with the Marta SL. The only difference between the regular Martas and the Marta SL is the carbon lever blade and the color. The Martas perform the same and cost much less. The standard Martas are still more than the Mono Mini's but not by much. Also, the new Magura Louise XCs can be had for much less than any of the above. The Louise have more power than the Marta and Mini due to larger pad contact area. Louise are more comparable with the Avids_and_Hayes in terms of power but weigh less due to the fact that they don't need adapters to mount.
    Long Live Long Rides