mtbr member

magura hydraulic rim brakes

They look like they would be great to me - don't need disk hubs, cheapish, light etc...why haven't they taken off in the US ? some friends with them in the UK reckon they are as powerfull as disk...I can't find anywhere that sells them in the US though......

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    They look like they would be great to me - don't need disk hubs, cheapish, light etc...why haven't they taken off in the US ? some friends with them in the UK reckon they are as powerfull as disk...I can't find anywhere that sells them in the US though......
    Those brake are now still very popular for trialists. I dont know for you in USA but over here in canada they are easy to find. If you choose to put them on your bike you have to know those are very powerfull and they put a lot of force on your rim you need good rims. If you plan to put them on a cheap bike something can break maybe the rim maybe the frame.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc25
    Those brake are now still very popular for trialists. I dont know for you in USA but over here in canada they are easy to find. If you choose to put them on your bike you have to know those are very powerfull and they put a lot of force on your rim you need good rims. If you plan to put them on a cheap bike something can break maybe the rim maybe the frame.
    They're pretty heavy, kinda hard to fit big tires in some frames with the magura mounted. Had some on my trials bike. Sweet for trials though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've ran these for about 5 years now on all my mountain bikes and I love them. They have lots of power and work better in inclimate weather than V brakes. They are as service free as it gets. At the time they didn't take off because V's were somewhat lighter, and they can be more complicated than working with V brakes (only because most riders already are familar with them). Then disc brakes came along and everyone has been on that craze. I'm waiting for someone to build a dual rotor disc brake for mountain bikes, ya know motocross bikes don't need them but if you make them mountain bikers will have to have them.

It's the only brake system I've had that over 5 seasons, all I've done is bleed them twice, and replace the pads 3 times, and you don't even have to adjust the pads when you replace them.....compared to V's or the hassle's I read about with discs they are truely maintainence free.

They do have some downsides, they are a little heavier than light V's but about the same as most disks. They still work on the rim so snow/mud can hinder braking some, as can bending a rim. It's harder to get large tires in and out of them, from what I've found about a 2.3 is the limit on most setups. However you can use 2 QR's one on each side with a booster and get anything that will fit in the fork/frame in there.

The other downside is the simple fact that canti mounts are being phased out, more and more frames and forks are going disc only. It's getting harder and harder to find bikes/forks with canti mounts.

That said if I built another xc race bike and could get canti mounts I'd put maguras hs33's on in a heartbeat.

They show up on ebay quite a bit, and if I remember right Cambria and Speedgoat used to sell them, maybe not anymore as discs have taken over.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel

If you want to consider used ones...

I have a set of silver HS-33's I don't need. They're in fine shape, but I've gone to disc. E-me at kts3 at columbia dot edu.

Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.