mtbr member
    May 2009

Magura hydraulic pads -> Hydraulic disc brakes

Hello,
    I'm a first-timer to this great forum

My bike has a setup like this: Magura hydraulic pads.

What do i have to buy (complete) to convert to hydraulic disc brakes?
    Do i have to buy different handles, etc?

Also, where do i buy a conversion kit?

Thank you,

Dave

mtbr member
    About the only thing you may be able to reuse is the lever... you'll still need a new hose(longer), caliper, pads, and rotor. New hose means you'll have to bleed or get it bleed too. Overall, a whole new kit may be less troublesome IMO.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Dave, what you have there are Magura HS33 or HS11 Hydraulic Rim brakes. The most important word there is RIM.
    You'll need to see if your fork has tabs to mount disc brakes (found on the bottom of the left leg) and if your frame has tabs too (on the rear left seatstay.
    If your frame or fork have neither, then you won't be able to use disc brakes.
    I don't think, and I may be wrong on this, you can get a kit to convert the HS33 or HS11 to a Magura Julie/Louise/Marta/Gustav Disc brake. There are a lot of different parts between rim and disc brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Op, looks like you have the Magura HS33 Evo2 hydraulic rim brakes. This is a closed system brake - the lever has a thumbwheel to adjust the gap between the pads and the rim.

Being closed and using mineral oil, you may be able to mate the lever with a closed system hydraulic disc brake caliper: it is known to work on the Magura Julie calipers, albeit with some minor issues.

It is less hassle and recommended to just buy a new hydraulic disc brake than it is to mod your current one.

Look near the bottom of the left fork lowers to determine what kind of disc mount you have, and buy the appropriate caliper and/or adapter required.

Post a picture of your actual forks if you are not sure of what you will need.