mtbr member

Magura Hydraulic brakes! HELP!!!!!!!!!

I have a pair of magura marta disc brakes and they don't give me the stopping power I would like to have. I tried bleeding them and stopping many times to tune them but they just don't work. My dad has hydraulic on his bike and twitches his finger just to stop. JEALOUS!! Any advice would be helpfull!

Thanks'

The Rider

MTBR Member
    Have you checked your pads? If they're glazed over, you might want to take some fine grit sandpaper and get a fresh surface. Could also go with a sintered pad and even upgrade your rotor size(depending on what you have now).

I've owned Marta SL's before and those brakes had plenty of stopping power.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    OP - what year are your Martas? Mine were the pre-2009 model and one-finger stopping power was great. All else fails.....get new pads.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hello Joe Cannondale

Your Martas no matter which model year should completely satisfy your power requirements with reserve.

There could be two areas to consider, caliper alignment or contaminated pads/rotor.

Are the brakes a recent install? If so, I would first suspect caliper alignment and encourage you to either machine the frame and forks mounting tabs OR persevere with riding and braking until the pad faces are worn into alignment with the rotor.

Secondly, like ncfisherman recommends that something is suspect with your pads and/or rotor. If the lever blade is firm and not excessive movement, then possibly the problem is a lack of friction.
    Try like the above recommendation to remove the contamination from the rotor and pads.
    Remove the pads, turn each one face down on a piece of Emory or sand paper and in a circular manner like "surface-grinding" take the glaze or contamination off of the face of the pad. The idea is to do this so the pads face doesn't become slanted in relation to the rotor because then there is another friction problem and the same results, no power and noises.

Good luck and let me know.
    Jude

mtbr member
    Another option is to use a flat med file to scuff the pad surface then clean with Iso alcohol.

mtbr member

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by judemonica View Post
    Hello Joe Cannondale

Your Martas no matter which model year should completely satisfy your power requirements with reserve.

There could be two areas to consider, caliper alignment or contaminated pads/rotor.

Are the brakes a recent install? If so, I would first suspect caliper alignment and encourage you to either machine the frame and forks mounting tabs OR persevere with riding and braking until the pad faces are worn into alignment with the rotor.

Secondly, like ncfisherman recommends that something is suspect with your pads and/or rotor. If the lever blade is firm and not excessive movement, then possibly the problem is a lack of friction.
    Try like the above recommendation to remove the contamination from the rotor and pads.
    Remove the pads, turn each one face down on a piece of Emory or sand paper and in a circular manner like "surface-grinding" take the glaze or contamination off of the face of the pad. The idea is to do this so the pads face doesn't become slanted in relation to the rotor because then there is another friction problem and the same results, no power and noises.

Good luck and let me know.

I have tried everything!! I tried cleaning the pads with alchahol, sanding them and everything. I cleaned my rotors with dishsoap and water and tried new pads. ????????? I am MYSTIFIED!!!

official eMpTyBRain
    Specific questions:

1) How many miles have you put on your Martas?

2) Is the braking system new?

3) How much do you weigh and what size are the rotors?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    I have put quite a few miles on them and I weigh 150 lbs and they are preety small rotors. I should still be able to stop in at least 5 feet!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Even if sanded, etc... if the pads were not properly bedded or the rotors are contaminated chances are they will not perform. That is a simple system. I would try an organic pad on the front, clean the rotor (hope it cleans), properly bed and go from there. If not comfortable doing that call Magura or take to lbs.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cannondale View Post
    I have put quite a few miles on them and I weigh 150 lbs and they are preety small rotors. I should still be able to stop in at least 5 feet!
    New pads all around and larger rotor up front and it will stop in 4 feet or less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    New pads all around and larger rotor up front and it will stop in 4 feet or less.
    I don't know how to put on a larger rotor without a different fork, brake mount.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cannondale View Post
    I don't know how to put on a larger rotor without a different fork, brake mount.
    Take it to your LBS (local bike shop). They will know what to get as far as parts.