Yo.

Magura HS33, Marta lever compatibility question

Hey all,

I'm currently running Avid brakes, mullet-style, on my singlespeed - BB7 up front, SD Ultimate out back. I would like to upgrade to hydros, but the frame only has v-brake posts. So I thought I would mount a Magura HS33 out back (have a set already), and pick up a Marta/Louise for the front. Problem is, I'd rather have the same brake levers, which wouldn't be the case if I used the brakes as set up out-of-the-box.

So, my questions are:

1.) Is it possible to use an HS33 front lever with the disc caliper? The HS33 lever is one of the newer ones, with the angled master cylinder and the TPA wheel integrated into the lever blade.

2.) If this can in fact be done, is it something I should undertake at home or let my LBS handle?

As for background, I was a shop and race mechanic for a long time, but mostly on the road side of things and when cable-actuated MTB brakes were the height of technology. I have no experience with hydraulic brakes, and my experience with my hydraulic forks has been playing with the adjustments and maintenance-type stuff. I'm good at following directions, and my home shop is well stocked (in a roadie and old-school MTB sort of way).

BTW, I did a search and only came up with this old thread.

Any advice or anecdotal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

E
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    You might find some useful info on this link: http://www.support-english.magura.com/

Yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba
    You might find some useful info on this link: http://www.support-english.magura.com/
    Thanks for the link. Forgot about Magura's own forums.

Found this thread about a rim-bake to rim-brake conversion.

Found this thread which, among other things, infers that mixing & matching components from different disk brake models is, um, verboten.

Guess I'll cross-post over there and hope I don't get raked over the coals too bad
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    This post says a bit about disc/HS33 lever compatibility: http://www.support-english.magura.com/index.php?showtopic=1083

mtbr member
    The HS33 is a closed brake, no reservoir. Marta, Louise and every other disc I'm aware of are open/reservoir. I'm pretty sure that alone would make it a no-go.
    If memory serves, HS brakes use larger diameter masters than most discs as well.

edit: and that's exactly what the above link says. Department of redundancy department on my part

Yo.
    Yeah, didn't know if the open vs closed thing would make it a no-go, especially going the other way, which is what I asked in my post over in the Magura Forum.

mtbr member

Eddie, did you ever go further with this idea?

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Really I would just like a front disc lever that looks and acts like the HS33 lever.
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

Yo.
    Nah, ended up scoring a CK non-disc SS wheelset and swtiched back to a SD ultimate up front. No regrets, actually

I did think of some other workarounds in the interim, though. I think the one that I was going to go with in the end involved finding a front brake that had the same feel as the HS33 that would be in back and then trying to find matching lever blades from a third party (Dangerboy or the like) that would be available for both brake styles, buying both, and replacing the appropriate ones.

After doing some research, I'm pretty sure that option does not exist with readily available aftermarket parts, so option 2 would have been to try and have custom lever blades fabricated for the HS33 and whatever ended up on the front wheel. Off the top of my head, I think only the Hayes Strokers combine a radial master cylinder with a dial integrated in the lever, but it looks like the dial controls reach, not pad position like on the HS33's.

Anyway, good hunting, and if you come up with a solution, post it here!

E