32by18.blogspot.com

Magura HS33 Evo2 retrofit and other questions...

Hi

Is it possible to retrofit the newer Magura HS33 Evo2 mounts on a pre-2005 HS33?

Also, I'd like to know the ff:

1) what improvements, other than the brake levers and evo2 mounts, has Magura introduced with the new brakes? Any internals changed?

2) Is there a performance diff between the new HS33's over the older ones?

3) Will upgrading to braided hoses (Magura originals) improve performance (for both old and new HS33 models)?

I'm thinking of springing for a new set of HS33's if they are an improvement in all respects, over the older ones.

Thanks!
    mabuhay ang ReboluSSyon!

mtbr member
    yes, you can refit evo2 to older brakes, the slave cylinders are the same. Makes mounting a little easier and more versatile (a little). Once they where set up, I never had to adjust the old evo adapters, so I don't see that as a huge upgrade in itself.

AFIK nothing other than what you mentioned has changed, the new levers are a little lighter, but no real improvement in braking performance.

No idea about braided hoses. I can't imagine it would hurt anything, but I never had a problem with stock hoses either.

My HS22s have lasted through 4 frames, and I still don't feel the need to replace them.

A wheelist
    I sent your questions to Lonnie @ Magura USA. Below are his answers. He didn't answer the first question (unnumbered by you) but the answer would be "yes".

1) what improvements, other than the brake levers and evo2 mounts, has Magura introduced with the new brakes? Any internals changed?

Lonnie - Piston sizes are smaller in the master cylinder providing more lever feel from the rider. As well, the TPA knob has been incorporated into the M/C body itself as opposed to sticking off the front of the lever blade.

2) Is there a performance diff between the new HS33's over the older ones?

Lonnie - Performance change was not the goal (how can they be any better?). The goal was to modernize, make lighter, simplify adjustment and mounting.

3) Will upgrading to braided hoses (Magura originals) improve performance (for both old and new HS33 models)?

Lonnie - By design, SS lines decrease line flex and reduce heat but there is no heat generated in this brake so that is a moot point.
    On the HS models most riders feel they get better braking power by simply changing the crossover line to SS, so changing the whole system would be that much better.
    Last edited by Mike T.; 06-06-2007 at 11:10 AM.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

32by18.blogspot.com
    Thanks Joules and Mike T (and Lonnie)!

I guess I'll take a modular approach to this 'upgrade' (more like a lateral move I think) and slap on the newer Evo fittings and change my old brakelines to the braided ones.

Darn, now I regret selling my other bike, which had really old Magura Formula 500's (in yellow and red), those could've used some modernization as well. Maybe I should contact the buyer!
    mabuhay ang ReboluSSyon!