mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Which Magura? HS11 or HS33?

I'm treating myself to some maggies for my hardtail. I have a touring bike with HS11 evo's and I love them. I was planning to get the same for the hardtail. But I see that HS33 are doable pricewise and was wondering if I'll really notice the difference in performance. FWIW - I like the simplier look of the levers on the HS11.

Anyone actually used both?

On a related note, my searching has turned up infomation about the old HS66 for drop bars. If anyone knows of a source for those - new or used - please let me know.

PS - I'd love to be a cult member if the number giver-outers are watching.
    Last edited by ride-a-day; 12-01-2006 at 10:04 AM.

mtbr member
    I also haved used the HS 11's as well as the HS 33's. The HS 33's have larger pistons and the levers are alloy compared to resin on the 11's. Consequently the 33's have more power. Bottom line, buy the 33's.
    Get over it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You could really tell the difference in power? What type of riding do you do? I'm looking at single-track, cross country and lots of road use as a comuuter in bad weather. No trials or tricks

I can tell a clear difference in my hs-11 vs my v-brakes on the road. I've never had a situation where iIwanted or needed more than the hs-11's power. Then again, I've never never had the hs11s off road either.

I'm just wonder if the extra ca$h is getting me anything in brakes I'm going to use. I know I would use the new crankset the cash would buy me... hmmm

mtbr member
    I'm a fairly big guy at 230 lbs. and used my HS 33's for riding the North Shore. This was pre disk brake days.
    Get over it!