banned
    Nov 2007

Magura gustav....technical information needed

I picked up a set of used gustavs,as stated in pictures......
    The calipers float on a pivot rod,that is treaded and holds a bolt at the end.They may be missing a part,maybe some spacers hold it in caliper place ???

Also did they update the gustav from the original design,the gustav pictured below have two pistons on one side of the caliper and none on the other side....
    thx for any info.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

...In the meantime.
    The Gustav is designed with a floating caliper and is made to run with free-running drag. That looks like a current model, Magura has extensive tech documents and detailed set-up guides on their website. The Gustav does require some special attention to setup, DO read the provided info from Magura it should make it less painful.

Hope that helps in some way...if not call Magura directly they have unusually good tech support.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ERCAT
    I picked up a set of used gustavs,as stated in pictures......
    The calipers float on a pivot rod,that is treaded and holds a bolt at the end.They may be missing a part,maybe some spacers hold it in caliper place ???

Also did they update the gustav from the original design,the gustav pictured below have two pistons on one side of the caliper and none on the other side....
    thx for any info.....
    The Gustav is a dual piston floating caliper design. The caliper slides/floats on that rod so you'll want to make sure the rod is lubed Rotor drag is normal for floating caliper designs but you should be able to get your Gustavs to run drag free. If your using these brakes for trail riding like I do, you'll be better off with a six inch rotor in the rear(Adapter #9.)

BTW From your pics, everything is there.

http://www.magura.com/uploads/media/...GustavM_08.pdf
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Not sure what setup that is on the first photo but it doesn't look right. The silver adaptor is for Louise FR brakes and is a +30mm or +20mm piece. The Gustav should just have it's own specific adaptor, looks like you've got one adaptor bolted to another.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

banned
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE
    Not sure what setup that is on the first photo but it doesn't look right. The silver adaptor is for Louise FR brakes and is a +30mm or +20mm piece. The Gustav should just have it's own specific adaptor, looks like you've got one adaptor bolted to another.
    Hi..heres a few more pictures,I picked them up used and dont know much about this model.The price was right at $150. but a few things were mis quoted such as pads were good (one set is trashed ) and if I have to spring for adaptors that could be a buzz kill...
    The adaptors state 15 on the rear and 11 on the front,thx for additional information
    Attached Images Attached Images