mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Magura Gustav M Questions

These are questions regarding Magura Gustav M Brakes.

1. Are the rotors thicker than normal rotors?

2. Do you need a separate barb fitting that screws into the caliper in order to hold a plastic tube on the fitting to bleed them? If so, which barb fitting is it? I've seen several magura barb fittings on ebay.

3. I know shimano brake fluid will work but what about long term performance? Has anyone ever left shimano fluid in their maguras for over 5 years? Was there any damage?

4. Does anyone have any Gustav spare parts? Mostly I'm looking for a #21 caliper adapter. Its the one that does the 210mm rotor front and 190mm rotor rear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    1. Not thicker by any noticable margin. Much different diameters though, exept in 160.

2. Have you downloaded the shop manual for the gustavs? Excellent info there.

3. I have used the shimano in mine without issue, only three years though...

4. Good luck, if you find a good online source let me know. Adapters are a complete ball ache to track down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a set on my Pugsley. I'm running 190's front and rear. They have super stopping power. I would recommend the optional stainless braided cables. There costly, and hard to set up compare to plastic ( no barbs ) but add some nice bling, an they're functional too.

I would stay with the royal blood if I were you, and it would't hurt to buy a spare set of pads just to make sure you have a set if ever needed.

You can't go wrong with Gustov's.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hello
    The Gustav uses the same thickness as other current Magura rotors, 2.0mm thick.
    The original Gustavs in 1994 had 3mm thick alloy, two piece floating rotors but used specific pads.
    Rotor diameter is specific to Gustav with 160, 190 or 210mm. The adapters are easily found at many sources, any shop that uses BTI or has access to a phone or internet and can get in touch with Magura USA. 618-395-2200. Plenty parts available.

I have to always recommend Magura blood because we know exactly what the ingredients are and don't know what is included in Shimano's fluid. They are both mineral based and both 10 wt viscosity. We have tested Blood thoroughly and know well how it performs under heat and cold cycles etc.

... and yes you can acquire all manuals, exploded views and instructions on line.

http://www.magura.com/en/products/ol...downloads.html

If you have difficulty finding information, let me know.

Good luck and enjoy!
    Jude

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Hey Jude

Hey Jude, was that you I saw in MBAction magazine a few years back in a step by step article on how to bleed a magura brake? Anyway, I saw one of those floating 3mm thick gustav rotors on ebay.de. It was quite a sight, didn't even look like a mountain bike rotor.

Thanks for the info, I got everything I needed.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hello Oliver

That was probably me doing a song and dance in MBA if it had to do with Magura. I've been with Magura over a decade and still kickin' strong.
    So, thanks for the feedback and glad you are on track with your set up.
    If in fact what you saw on e bay was an old Gustav alloy 2 piece 3mm thick rotor, Buy it and hang it in your garage shop as it is pretty cool and would work just fine with a current Gustav if you had the alloy rotor specific pads, good luck on that one! haha!

I may be able to dig deep for a pair though somewhere in my "collection."

Enjoy and thanks for saying hello!
    Jude

mtbr member
    More thumbs up regarding the Gustavs. Have had them for a number of years on my big bike, I dont think I have even bled them once (coming on 5 years now). Maybe a winter project.

I will use Magura Blood in mine as I always have the manufacturers fluid for whatever system I have...

Its fantastic that Jude is periodically checking in this forum on us