mtbr member

Good job! Magura customer service.

I'm switching out the fork on my bike, and of course the new fork, like all new forks, has a post mount. The Magura Marta caliper I have is a 180 IS mount. Magura never made an adapter to get from 180 IS to 160 PM.

I called Magura USA today to see if they were still selling Magura PM calipers, which they are. The guy I spoke to cut me a nice deal over the phone on the caliper and an adapter. It'll ship tomorrow and I'll have it in a few days.

I've been a Magura fan going back to the HS33 caliper brakes that I had in '92 or so. Good service is icing on the cake.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the post and feedback OldhouseMan!

We appreciate your business and loyalty!!
    Jude

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I too am super happy with Magura service, thanks in no small part to Jude's help. My MT8's have the most amazing modulation and feel, and with the new larger Storm SL rotors I installed, they are a beast. And they look amazing. And they are light. And yes, they are a little expensive. And worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am new to this fourm, I have not had much luck with my MT8's. I went through the recall campagne with my LBS and got the replacement levers, after the first ride I had no stopping power with my rear brake, I discovered that they looked to have been bleed with the pads in as they were contaminated. So I took my bike to a high end SoCal bike shop and had pads replaced and a bleed done and still no stopping power and poor modulation. I have since purchased a set of XTR's that work fine but I would still like to use the Maguras if possible. Any suggestions???

Maromero
    Try asking Judemonica (post 2), he is the man, if somebody knows how, that is him.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hi Dave M

Sounds classic contamination of the pads/rotor.
    Probably while bleeding the brake initially (during line shortening maybe) and getting some fluid on the pads possibly through the caliper pad area.
    Even though the pads were replaced, the rotor would need to be addressed at that time also because it also can become contaminated. It however is salvagable because you can get much more agressive with cleaning it VS. the pads.

Now, you probably have accidentally re-contaminated the new pads because the rotor had some oil embedded tranfered from the original contaminated pads.

Clean the rotors with Isopropol alchohol and scotch-brite or the like, the remove the pads and lay them each face down on some emory paper, sand paper, or dry wall sanding screen.

In a flat circular method, surface grind a small amount of the pads face clean. Don't be timid with this step.
    Clean the face of each pad afterwards with alchohol and reinstall everything.

If the pads were re-contaminated by the rotor, I am certain they can be saved by this technique.

Good luck and let me know how else we can help.
    Jude

mtbr member
    +2 on Maguras Customer Service, Jude has been super helpful in getting my brakes sorted. Also Kent at Magura USA has provided great feedback and help. I find that their customer support is always available , you get immediate answers and help. For those reasons alone I will be putting Maguras on our families bikes from now on. I just hope they bring out a replacement fok for the Wotan!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    +3 Jude is the man. Responsive, helpful and respectful would be three words to describe his assistance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks everybody for your help on my brake situation, looking forward to getting the MT8's back on the bike and working like I know they can.

DM