Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Go ride!
    Dec 2011

Magura Customer Service

It isn't often that we get the opportunity to praise a company for their customer service. Most times we are happy to just get a response and all too often we are left disappointed with the resulting action.

As a shop we get the opportunity to work closely with a large number of brands so for someone to standout among the masses is impressive. We wanted to take this opportunity to recognize Magura USA for going above and beyond the call of duty. On multiple occasions we have been very impressed with the extent that they are willing to go to help out their loyal customers.

We don't want to get into specifics, since I am sure there will be a few specific instance where they may have fallen short, but in general Magura USA and their reps have consistently made the effort to address issues directly with customers instead of simply asking customers to send in their brakes.

For those of you who may not have had similar experiences I suggest working with a shop who has a good relationship with their Magura reps. The performance of their brakes is directly related to the quality of the bleed so having your brakes worked on by a shop who is familiar with their brakes is crucial.

If anyone would like to comment on this topic or share their experiences I am confident that other MTBR members as well as Magura would appreciate the feedback.

mtbr member
    I have had nothing but good experiences dealing directly with Magura USA.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have had fantastic experiences dealing with Magura HQ customer support.

mtbr member
    What keeps me from buying Magura brakes? "The performance of their brakes is directly related to the quality of the bleed so having your brakes worked on by a shop who is familiar with their brakes is crucial." I think i should be able to effectively bleed my braking system without needing specialized experience. Also, reports of bolts stripping. As longs as i don't manhandle my equipment, i shouldn't wonder if its going to strip out the night before a big ride.

Great customer service goes a long way and from what i've seen, Magura is working hard at doing it well. Unfortunately, no level of customer service will get you back on the trail the next morning. Thats what back up bikes are for, though. Right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    What keeps me from buying Magura brakes? "The performance of their brakes is directly related to the quality of the bleed so having your brakes worked on by a shop who is familiar with their brakes is crucial." I think i should be able to effectively bleed my braking system without needing specialized experience. Also, reports of bolts stripping. As longs as i don't manhandle my equipment, i shouldn't wonder if its going to strip out the night before a big ride.

Great customer service goes a long way and from what i've seen, Magura is working hard at doing it well. Unfortunately, no level of customer service will get you back on the trail the next morning. Thats what back up bikes are for, though. Right?
    This is true for any brake system. Coming from Avid/XX's, I find that bleeding my MT8's is infinitely more simple.

I admit though, I've changed out the alloy caliper mounting bolts to some studier steel after stripping the heads, and I do have one bleed port screw that is stripped. Since I don't need to bleed them often, I just flip the lever over and use the port on the opposite side. One of these days I'll call to request another screw.

mtbr member
    Magura Direct/USA rocks, and I have no issues servicing Magura products in my dark basement.

(Kent King for president!)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    yep, i 've had nothing but great experiences with Magura. great brakes and when they are not, they come though and solve the problem quick and almost make if feel to easy.

DIY all the way
    This was what I was telling everybody 20 years ago, maybe in a pretty insisting way.

After that they named me Magura.

Fact is though, that they are above anybody, when it comes to after sales service, and have been so for some 30 years by now.

That name has been clinging to me ever since.

Magura

Maromero
    I agree with all of the above, but... I would give Magura USA an extra point for having somebody of their staff taking a look at these forums and always stepping forward with a helping hand, thanks Jude.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I remember once calling Magura UK and the number being busy, and much to my amazement when my phone rang a couple of minutes later it was them calling me back. First time that had ever happened to me, with any company. Definitely impressed.

What i would like to know, is if they support discontinued products. I am specifically talking about Gustav calliper mounts. These brakes are useless without the dedicated adaptors and i see people hunting for them regularly on forums. I have a set and NOTHING compares to them for riding down mountains, but i am concerned that i can't use them when i swap forks and need a different mount.

If they haven't already, then they need to produce a good amount of these and make them easy to get hold of (at a reasonable price).
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

DIY all the way
    Just have a couple of mounts custom made.

.....well, that was at least the straight forward solution

Magura

T.W.O.
    They are my choice of brake now. The products are already awesome but it's the personal customer service by Jude that keeps me as a loyal customer.

I now own 3 of there forks 2 Wotan, Thor, and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Just have a couple of mounts custom made.

.....well, that was at least the straight forward solution

Magura
    Have you seen them, you are joking right?

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE View Post
    Well, he's the exception to the rule, after all he makes his own bikes, including a DH carbon bike, so custom made parts is quite simple straight forward solution for him

derp
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    I've always been a mechanical brake type of guy and my Maguras are the first hydro brakes i have, the MT2 were a one type deal as i just installed them, cut them down and they worked flawlessly without any bleeding.

The MT6 set was a bit more troublesome, they came with some defective pads but Magura HQ ( Germany ) sent me a pair for free, i did have to bleed them a couple times and i screwed up the first couple of times ( it was funny when i pushed oil into the system with a bit too much pressure and tried to remove the hose like that, oil freaking everywhere ) and proceeded to contaminate my disks and pads !
    Fortunately a good wash with hot water and vinegar and some time on the flames with the pads and they're as awesome as my MT2s.

I've bled some sets from friends after that and now it takes 15mins to get myself an almost perfect bleed and this is coming from someone who was against hydros until last year.
    I've hammered my caliper mount screws and never stripped one but i don't trust the bleed port and lever mount screws much as they're a bit soft on the threads.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

DIY all the way
    No, I'm quite serious

They are not that complicated, if you think CNC milling, so if you really need some, why not pay a machine worker, to make a couple?

Magura

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    No, I'm quite serious

They are not that complicated, if you think CNC milling, so if you really need some, why not pay a machine worker, to make a couple?

Magura
    Have you actually seen them though? It's not just a case of machining, there's a steel rod pressed into the mount that the caliper slides on, with an o-ring sat in a groove and a retaining screw threaded in the end. Some are forged and some machined.

I'm not saying it's impossible, it obviously isn't, but you would need an adaptor in the first place to copy and with the amount of work involved it just wouldn't be economical.

Much easier for everybody else if Magura would make them.

DIY all the way
    Have you actually seen them though? It's not just a case of machining, there's a steel rod pressed into the mount that the caliper slides on, with an o-ring sat in a groove and a retaining screw threaded in the end. Some are forged and some machined.

I'm not saying it's impossible, it obviously isn't, but you would need an adaptor in the first place to copy and with the amount of work involved it just wouldn't be economical.

Much easier for everybody else if Magura would make them.
    I believe we agree that what you're talking about, is like the one in the pic below, right?

That ought not to represent much of a challenge, to anybody with just a bit of skills, and a machine workshop.

Magura

Twin Six METAL Team
    +1! Magura rocks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I believe we agree that what you're talking about, is like the one in the pic below, right?

That ought not to represent much of a challenge, to anybody with just a bit of skills, and a machine workshop.

Magura
    I think you should do it, there's a market out there

DIY all the way
    I think you should do it, there's a market out there
    Sorry, not happening.

Got plenty to do already, that seems like work, so more work for less pay, seems like a bad deal.

If a few people needs those, why don't you get together and have a machine shop make some? It doesn't have to cost you a fortune.

Magura

mtbr member
    Magura is indeed a fantastic group to work with. Been very happy with their product for a long time. My Gustavs are still the most powerful, unfadeable brake I ever have used. Too bad they weigh so much!

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Magura is indeed a fantastic group to work with. Been very happy with their product for a long time. My Gustavs are still the most powerful, unfadeable brake I ever have used. Too bad they weigh so much!
    +100 on the Gustavs, the first steep descend I used the gustavs I was very impressed. Powerful yet there's some modulation there, just like the current Saint, too bad they don't make them anymore, or lighter

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for all of your support Gentlemen and for the positive comments!

We are always available to help and you can lean on me personally.

Dirty Jack, let me know where to send a few new bleed plugs (we apologize for the problem!) ... and thanks for your support!

Man Called Horse, let me know which Gustav adapters you are looking for currently as I probably have a few with your name on them.

Mr. Magura, you are a bad ass.

Thank you Mimi 1885 for your comments and support!

Thanks Doccorage for your support!!

Thanks 006 007! You are right, nothing compares to the old man Gustav, Still!

Pro Bike Supply, Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this thread and don't hesitate to call on us/Me. That means a lot to Magura.

You Gents send problems my way anytime.
    Jude

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Thank you chrisgarder73!!
    Jude

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast