Thread: Magura Claras?

mtbr member

Magura Claras?

I friend gave me a set of old Magura Claras. I just bought a new bike (2003 Jamis Dakar) and it has V Brakes, I want to upgrade to disc. Ive been reading reviews and they are about 1/2 good 1/2 bad. Seems like most of the gripes are due to lack of ajusting them properly. I have the levers, hoses, and calipers, all I would need to buy is the disc and an adapter for my fork. My questions are:

Since I got the Claras for free, should I go ahead and use them? Seeing that dics and an adapter and pretty cheap.

What kind of adapter do I need? I want to run 180mm rotors front and rear. Ive been looking at adapters and im totally lost and have no idea what im looking at. My fork is a Manitou Splice Comp 100mm and has post mounts.

Should I just buy some good mechs?

mtbr member
    55 views and no one knows?

mtbr member
    Tough one Nick - Those brakes have been out of production for a while, and were never as popular as the mainstream martas and louise - so there are limited people that will know for sure.

My gut feel is that you would need the 180mm IS adaptors from magura (I know, stating the obvious).

Have you tried going to their website and looking at the tech docs for the brakes? I know they are pretty good about having that info in there - providing you know the year/model the brakes are.

Also, you could try emailing magura the question - they are usually pretty good about getting back to emails as well.

Their US site is Home: MAGURA Direct

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    I decided to just buy mechanical. I am kind of a newb and I do not want to deal with an older set of hydro brakes. I will just run mech's for the mean time. And when I want to upgrade, I will get a new set of hydros.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Depends if they were the older or newer Clara's......got a picture?

mtbr member
    Older, they came off of a 2000 Cannondale F700SX.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Both Are older.....but the newer version is much better....2000 could be the newer, I have a set from around then, de decent xc brake as long as the seals master cylinder are ok....I'd need to see a picture

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    MTBerNick

The Claras are good brakes and never got a chance really since they were introduced when disc brakes were just beginning to be offered. The year 2000 saw some "standards" established but most manufacturers were still un-sold because most consumers were un-sold also so there was less than a 50% chance someone would use the disc brake mounting tabs on the frames and forks and just choose what they were use to - V brakes! These mounting tabs were never perfectly aligned in those days and was the real cause for most issues, bad feel, noises.

So if your freebie Claras are in good shape, why not use them? They should have mineral based hydro fluid in them so that is still good and hasn't done any damage internally.
    If you are going to try mechanicals, then install the Claras until the mechs show up and you may never switch.
    If you send a photo of the brakes, I can help assist what adapters you would need and give you an idea of the vintage of the brakes for future pad replacement and/or advice.
    Jude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by judemonica View Post
    MTBerNick

The Claras are good brakes and never got a chance really since they were introduced when disc brakes were just beginning to be offered. The year 2000 saw some "standards" established but most manufacturers were still un-sold because most consumers were un-sold also so there was less than a 50% chance someone would use the disc brake mounting tabs on the frames and forks and just choose what they were use to - V brakes! These mounting tabs were never perfectly aligned in those days and was the real cause for most issues, bad feel, noises.

So if your freebie Claras are in good shape, why not use them? They should have mineral based hydro fluid in them so that is still good and hasn't done any damage internally.
    If you are going to try mechanicals, then install the Claras until the mechs show up and you may never switch.
    If you send a photo of the brakes, I can help assist what adapters you would need and give you an idea of the vintage of the brakes for future pad replacement and/or advice.

As I have said before - Jude / Magura CS rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    As I have said before - Jude / Magura CS rocks.
    +1 on the CS - you can find jude over in the Magura Customer Support thread (also in the brake time forum)