mtbr member
    May 2004

Magura bleeding theory

As I stated in a previous post I was setting up some 04 Magura Louise brakes and I was having a hell of a time getting a good bleed from them. Typically I bleed per the instructions on the Magura Cult website, but it just wouldn't work for me on these new brakes. I just though that I would share how I finally got a good bleed and maybe get some input from the cult members as well; The solution was to replace the lower bleed syringe with a much larger one (about 5-6 times the size of the one that comes with magura's $20 bleed kit), just push fluid from the caliper up to the lever sucking out the excess fluid from the reservoir, stopping 5-6 times during the bleed to tap on the brake hose and actuate the lever while keeping pressure in the syringe. Once you have pushed almost all the fluid through you should be good to go.

When I think about it this seems like a better method as it keeps the air bubbles moving in a single direction throughout the entire bleed. Any comments from people who have bleed a lot of Magura's would be great. I am just trying to develop a bleed method that works for me on the new models of brake. It sounds strange, but when I work on my 03 Louise’s they just seem a lot easier to bleed. I think that part of it may be the fact that the new calipers make it harder to put in a bit more fluid into the system than the yellow tab allows during the bleed with the pads removed.

Bodhisattva
    AK,

I've had great success using the standard syringes and bleeding forward/back. I do it 3 times in each direction and periodically tap the lines. I don't see why the larger syringe would make a difference. Nonetheless, I'm happy that you got it running A-OK.

I've actually found my '04 louise FR easier to bleed than the '02 FWIW.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    AK,

I've had great success using the standard syringes and bleeding forward/back. I do it 3 times in each direction and periodically tap the lines. I don't see why the larger syringe would make a difference. Nonetheless, I'm happy that you got it running A-OK.

I've actually found my '04 louise FR easier to bleed than the '02 FWIW.
    I thought they would be easier too, till I tried it my first time. There was still loads of air coming out on the reverse bleed for some reason, even on the 20 round (yeah I tried it that long). The larger syringe gives you a lot more volume of brake fluid than the system can hold, gives you a better chance of getting all the air out since are basically trying to purge the system in one shot. I am actually kinda pissed I can't get it to work the normal way. But since I finaly got a good bleed I don't see me trying it again just for kicks

mtbr member
    I followed the directions exactly per the Magura Cult site. It now feels just as good as it did from the factory.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBiker
    There was still loads of air coming out on the reverse bleed for some reason, even on the 20 round (yeah I tried it that long).

I've found that the air that comes during the reverse bleed is caused by leaks at the o-ringed bleed fitting. I got rid of the o-ring and had no more problems.

I'll contact Jimi/Lonnie and see what they think and if they agree that universally discarding that o-ring is a good idea then I'll include that step in the Cult Pages bleed instructions.

Did you take that step Squeak?

Mike T. (mcm # 717)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Last year I got rid of the O-ring after my first attempt on Marta's. Same thing, it would not seal properly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

side - track.

I borrowed my LBS's professional bleed kit to bleed my Marta's. There's a pic on the Magura site. It's got a clamp that locks over the reservoir, with a hose going to a plastic bottle that acts as a big reservoir (tuff to explain). This allows you to push fluid back and forth easily, no spilage, no sucking off fluid manually from the reservoir.

After using this set-up, I'll never go back to the other method. Makes bleeding a breeze........

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    I've found that the air that comes during the reverse bleed is caused by leaks at the o-ringed bleed fitting. I got rid of the o-ring and had no more problems.

I'll contact Jimi/Lonnie and see what they think and if they agree that universally discarding that o-ring is a good idea then I'll include that step in the Cult Pages bleed instructions.

Did you take that step Squeak?

Mike T. (mcm # 717)
    FWIW, I used the o-ring and experienced the massive amounts of tiny air bubbles you are referring to. Then, I removed the o-ring and voila, no more air bubbles! Worked like a charm. I no longer use the o-ring.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

Bodhisattva
    No o-ring for me.
    I discovered that serendipitously. Magura accidentally forgot to send me one so I've never used it.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed_Mike
    FWIW, I used the o-ring and experienced the massive amounts of tiny air bubbles you are referring to. Then, I removed the o-ring and voila, no more air bubbles! Worked like a charm. I no longer use the o-ring.
    Ditto, the o-ring doesn't work at all. It might work if there was a groove cut for it. But without a recessed groove, you can't fully tighten the olive with o-ring in place. It works just fine without it though.

I wasn't there but I would think if there was that much air in the line, it's because you let it in there. Either the bleed olive or the plastic tubing or something was leaking air or possibly you let the oil resevoir drop too low. It definitely shouldn't take 20 passes to get the residual air out. I bled my buddy's 04 Louise just fine with the normal syringe and standard procedures. I haven't needed to bleed mine yet. I'm sure it was just luck, but I was able to cut the line without introducing air.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I got rid of the o-ring pretty quick too and I have had several good bleeds using the method posted on the cult website. Its just that I can't get it to work with the new 04 Louise's. I have already tried to test my system for leaks and found none. Maybe I am just unlucky this time. It just seems odd b/c I can normally bleed really fast, but these are giving me trouble. Anyhow, I just want to say thanks to all the people who have posted their input to my bleeding questions. It has been a great help! Maybe someday I will figure out what is going on here.

Do It Yourself
    BTW, where did you get the huge syringe?
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    BTW, where did you get the huge syringe?
    I got it at a motorcycle parts/service store. The fitting wasn't the same size as the Magura tubing, so I made an adapter using PVC cement and a few pieces of plastic tubing from ACE hardware.