aka Flatballer
    Aug 2007

Magura Bleed Help

I'm having some trouble bleeding my Magura Marta SL brakes. I followed the procedure outlined here, by a Magura guy.

I'm having a couple problems. With the front I got it close, but the lever has more travel than I'd like, but feels pretty stiff. The rear has way, way too much travel.

When I bleed it, I do fine until I have to start cycling the lever on the front. Sometimes it pushes fluid out of the caliper around the bleed port, but not going into the syringe. Am I supposed to be sucking with the syringe? How can the pressure go somewhere, I don't understand it.

On the front and rear, when I remove the bleed port part, it starts letting out a little fluid. I have the reservoir cap on already, so it should be holding it in, but it drips out before I can get the plug in. I'm thinking this is where the increased travel comes from.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

code: mtbr2011
    it's been awhile since i've bled my martas, and i'm not using them anymore....
    it sounds like you still have air in the rear brake. the trick to cycling the lever with the martas is that you absolutely must have the reservoir full. so with each pump of the lever, top off the reservoir. it burps fluid up, which is normal, but if that isn't topped off, it will grab air.
    2nd, i used to keep the calipers pretty close together even after taking the pads off in order to minimize free stroke in the levers. if it ends up too close, you can suction a little bit off the top of the reservoir....in very small doses...
    make sure when you pull the hose off the bottom, you have fluid right there, otherwise, you'll get air.
    and top off the reservoir fully before sealing it up. keep a rag or 2 handy.