mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Mag Bleeding problems

I attempted to bleed my Mag G1 brakes and when I pulsed the lever to the bar while squezing the filler bottle the inboard piston came out enough to allow fluid to shoot out. Do I just push it back and start over or do I have to worry about the seal(s)? On a separate note the Hayes bleed kit is really poor. The squeeze bottle is leaking and the hose has come off of both the bottle and bleed fitting twice. I am tempted to go to mechanicals.

Meh.
    If the seal is not torn up and the piston is not chipped, just push the piston back in nice and evenly.

Hardware/aquarium store will have all the tubing sizes you may need. Substitue the squeeze bottle with a syringe. It's much easier to bleed and thre results seem to be better with a syringe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks XSL Will

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Don't operate the lever while bleeding Hayes brakes

Quote Originally Posted by cmu91024
    .. when I pulsed the lever ...
    You also do not want to operate the brake lever till the system bleed screws are back in place, the pads are back in place with rotor or something as thick as the rotor (my favorite is a popcicle stick)- then you can operate the lever to find out if you got a good bleed or not.
    I bike; therefore, I work

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure I will have to re-bleed. As I pumped the lever per instructions it looked like air was going back into the master cylinder.