ntj
    guidedbybicycles

Mag bleeding problem

Hi there,

For one reason or another, I've been doomed not to ride my bike. First it was my XC 700SL, now that I've got that back, my front brake has died for no apparent reason that I can see.

The lever on my Hayes Mag XC now just goes to the bar for no apparent reason. It bled up really easy when I got it, and I've been riding it for 5 months without issue.

There are no visible leaks, but when I bleed it now, it works OK a couple of times, then the lever goes back to the bar. When I bleed it, it looks like it's almost done at the lever, then loads of bubbles start coming out of it, way more than the brake line or caliper could hold.

Could this be a leaking master cylinder? Is it hard to replace if it is? Help! I want to ride soon.

Thanks!

Meh.
    Make sure all the fittings are tight. Make sure the piston seals aren't leaking. Make sure the caliper bolts are nice and tight and it's not leaking from between the caliper halves. Sometimes a line could split underneath the outside casing and leak.

It does sound like it could be a MC issue. I've got a Mag MC if you need it, PM for details.

How are you bleeding it? Just try using a big syringe full of DOT fluid; and push fluid through from the caliper end.

No Fear
    So much hayes issues on a hayes sponsored forum

ntj
    guidedbybicycles
    To be fair, I've done heaps of riding on hayes hfx brakes and I've never had a problem before. They've always been cheap, powerful and reliable, but nothing is perfect. I guess the number of issues is down to their popularity.

I'm just using the stock bleed kit, it could be improved, but it does the job.

Meh.
    Ditch the squeeze bottle. A syringe works much better, and quicker too.

ntj
    guidedbybicycles
    I'll give it a shot, thanks. Does it make the bleeding proceedure any different with the syringe?

Also, is the mc swap a big deal to do?

Meh.
    With the syringe, you don't have to draw a vacuum. You can just push fluid straight on through.

MC swap is fairly easy (IMO). Hit up the Hayes website, I believe they have the manual.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you're not drawing a vacuum you still have air in the caliper. Just pushing fluid through from the caliper does not get all of them out.

R

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by SABER_MTB
    So much hayes issues on a hayes sponsored forum
    I belive if there was to be a score sheet Magura would win withe the most complaints.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbsince1981
    If you're not drawing a vacuum you still have air in the caliper. Just pushing fluid through from the caliper does not get all of them out.

R
    You can push/pull with a syringe as well in attempt to dislodge the bubble. Tapping on the hose & fittings can be helpful also try tying the lever down over night with a zip tie or bungee, not super tight.
    Formotion Products

Meh.
    No. You tap the caliper, it frees up the air bubbles, gets carried up through with the fluid being pushed through. Obviously you have never bled with this method before.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    No. You tap the caliper, it frees up the air bubbles, gets carried up through with the fluid being pushed through. Obviously you have never bled with this method before.
    Actually i move the hose back & forth & it pushes the bubble out, if you do a moto you can actually see the bubble rise in the reservoir doing this. And yes taping on the reservoir does work, vibration to assist in dislodging the bubble.
    Formotion Products

Meh.
    My reply was more directed towards the other poster. Tapping or moving the line helps to dislodge bubbles. That was my point.

By the way, the XT line was kinked. I couldn't figure out why I had to keep bleeding the front brake. Grrrr...

ride hard take risks
    By the way, the XT line was kinked. I couldn't figure out why I had to keep bleeding the front brake. Grrrr...
    Guess you want a refund ayy
    Formotion Products

Meh.
    Naw. I trimmed the hose, hacked together more hose fittings (since the kink was near the crimped end). And I bled it one last time. This time it actually seems to be working now. It's an awesome brake when it works right.

ride hard take risks
    Naw. I trimmed the hose, hacked together more hose fittings (since the kink was near the crimped end). And I bled it one last time. This time it actually seems to be working now. It's an awesome brake when it works right.
    mrperc is whining now how he should have got them.
    Formotion Products

Meh.
    poh would whine more than me about how it's a PITA to set up... and get new hoses and fittings for... and bleed a total of 7 times.

ride hard take risks
    poh would whine more than me about how it's a PITA to set up... and get new hoses and fittings for... and bleed a total of 7 times.
    He just showed up at the house as i oppended this post, he says WTF, i said i agree.
    Formotion Products

ntj
    guidedbybicycles
    Thanks for the help. I installed the new MC and bled it up with a syringe - much easier. I'll be riding tomorrow.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by ntj
    Thanks for the help. I installed the new MC and bled it up with a syringe - much easier. I'll be riding tomorrow.
    Excellent that XSL_WiLL is such a Hero Have a great riding season.
    Formotion Products