mtbr member
    Apr 2011

M985 XTR brake cable leaking -- what to replace with?

Hi,
    I've got some M985 XTR brakes on a 2012 Santa Cruz hardtail. I noticed the brakes acting as if there was air in the lines, and sure enough it has a wet spot on the line crimp down at the caliper. I searched around and this is apparently a common problem with these brakes.

I'm not the original owner of the bike and i don't really feel like finding a shop to send these back to Shimano. I don't mind paying outright to avoid the hassle. I started looking at lines but had trouble finding anything.

From what i've read:
    -The Hope stainless lines have good reviews, but most say that 1 set isn't enough to do both front and back (which means $45 x2 = $90, a little steep for a brake line i think). Also not completely clear whether the fittings will work for the M985's.
    -Jagwire high flow lines: lots of people complaining about spongy brakes

Is that accurate? What other choices are there? Anybody have anything they love that's reasonably priced?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ah, i read some more and it seems like the squishy Jagwire's were a defect that was fixed in 2011. I'll probably go that route unless someone has a suggestion otherwise!
    Thanks!

g3h6o3
    Yeah the Jagwire defect is fixed on newer versions. Check for the "TF 5.0" marking.

I did however have problems installing their lines. The seal at the caliper was interfering with oil flow and giving me very slowly retracting pads. Fiddling with the fitment fixed the problem but I am not fond of their seal design.

If you go with Jagwire, before filing the lines, push and pull some air into them with the bleed port open to make sure you have a good flow.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Good to know! I guess depending on how you cut them it could be pretty easy to crimp the inner liner and cause a blockage. Thanks.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Goodridge steel braided kit.