ronbo613

m775 Caliper Leaking-What to Do?

Well, it looks like the rear Shimano XT m775 caliper is leaking a bit, causing some pad contamination and killing the braking power.
    A quick Google search reveals this is not uncommon, but what is the strategy here? First thought was to replace the caliper with an m785 XT caliper. Anybody know if you can do this; an m785 caliper with m775 levers? Looks like the hose fitting is different as well, I'm guessing I need a new brake hose. Will the hose fit the m775 levers or should I bite the bullet and buy the caliper, hose and lever?
    I like the m775 brakes, but I might look at aftermarket brakes where the parts are more serviceable and interchangeable.

Plays with tools
    Where is it leaking from? Have you explored warranty options?

ronbo613
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Where is it leaking from? Have you explored warranty options?
    I got them as OEM from Wiggle, if I recall, so there's probably no warranty. No real visible leaks or bubbling from the seals but the pads keep coming up contaminated with oil+dirt. A quick internet search tells me what happens next.
    I bought a rear Deore 596, which looks to be nearly identical to the m775 caliper and uses the same pads as the m775. I'll hook up the Deore caliper to the XT m775 lever and hope it works.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
    I got them as OEM from Wiggle, if I recall, so there's probably no warranty. No real visible leaks or bubbling from the seals but the pads keep coming up contaminated with oil+dirt. A quick internet search tells me what happens next.
    I bought a rear Deore 596, which looks to be nearly identical to the m775 caliper and uses the same pads as the m775. I'll hook up the Deore caliper to the XT m775 lever and hope it works.
    How did it go? I'm having the same issue with my M775 caliper, except that I can see oil/bubbles from the side of the pistons.