banned
    Jan 2012

M765 sticking pistons?+bonus Q

Just got hold of some Shimano M765 calipers, saved them from the trash, The pistons were sticking, I popped them out and cleaned them, Is it a known problem with those brakes?

Bonus Q: Is it also known that the Shimano M595 brake can leak? My front brake leaks at the bolt that goes into the caliper, it leaks from above the bolt where the hose is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have those xt's and haven't had a problem. That series is several years old, so the piston seals may not be as fresh as when new. I don't think you can buy piston seals. You may want to check for leaks using a block before installing pads since you found them in the trash. Who knows - someone may have just wanted to upgrade instead of paying to have them cleaned up.

For the deore... Make sure there is a seal (gasket washer?) between the bolt head and banjo. Check the caliper and hose diagrams at shimano to see it.

banned
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder View Post
    I have those xt's and haven't had a problem. That series is several years old, so the piston seals may not be as fresh as when new. I don't think you can buy piston seals. You may want to check for leaks using a block before installing pads since you found them in the trash. Who knows - someone may have just wanted to upgrade instead of paying to have them cleaned up.

For the deore... Make sure there is a seal (gasket washer?) between the bolt head and banjo. Check the caliper and hose diagrams at shimano to see it.
    My LBS fixed the Deore brake for free, Thats done, I've cleaned the XT's tho, still need to get some levers and hoses and i'll rig 'em up.