I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

M-585 Deore LXs?

The bike I just picked up came with those front and rear. I have ridden it barely more than once around the local neighborhood, but enough to know that I hate the integrated shifter/levers. So, either I keep the calipers and rotors (I like the feel of the brakes, but obviously I have not really tested them yet) and get Shimano separate levers and grip shift stuff (yeah, I like the grip shift) or get rid of it all and go to something like Avid BB7s.

The Shimano levers would be cheaper, but am I putting money in a wise place? I already have Avid brake levers to use (had them with Vbrakes). I suppose I could use those? They are less expensive Avid levers.

This is on a C-dale Prophet that is used for typical trail rides in dry climate stuff.

EDIT: Ok, I just realized that LX is the higher grade stuff (just below XT). My bad. I was thinking otherwise. I think i will stay with the LXs and get some matching levers unless I hear some strong reason otherwise.

thanks.
    Last edited by mtroy; 06-17-2007 at 08:17 PM.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    you can get a set of LX hydro levers for $60
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ke+Levers.aspx

you will also need to get some shifters of course..

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Hey, thanks for the link! I was prepared to pay more than that. Ordered and waiting for the goodies.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    Hey, thanks for the link! I was prepared to pay more than that. Ordered and waiting for the goodies.
    i think you made the right choice.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Quote Originally Posted by mtroy

glad to help!

EDIT: I reread..and see you will go for gripshift...

MTBR Demi-God
    The LX calipers and levers are an absolutely solid combination... a perfect, value for money performance brake.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by anirban
    The LX calipers and levers are an absolutely solid combination... a perfect, value for money performance brake.
    Good to know. I used to be all about the chi-chi factor, but now I know better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My LX calipers and levers are great, but both my rotors have warped and caused rubbing within the first month of use. I think I might need something a little more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by squads
    My LX calipers and levers are great, but both my rotors have warped and caused rubbing within the first month of use. I think I might need something a little more powerful.
    warping has nothing to do with power... it is just the material and its heating and cooling .... also you might warp the rotor when leaning the bike over something..so keep an eye out...
    Last edited by crisillo; 06-27-2007 at 12:03 AM.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by squads
    they can usually be straightened reasonably well. just use an adjustable wrench to grip the rotor, and bend it slightly away from the side that it is rubbing on. do it little by little.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    they can usually be straightened reasonably well. just use an adjustable wrench to grip the rotor, and bend it slightly away from the side that it is rubbing on. do it little by little.
    yeah.. that is right on.. patience and a bit at a time can get them perfect

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah I did get most of the warping fixed with pliers. I'll spend a little more time with it to get the rubbing to stop completely.

That 2nd bit about about getting more powerful brakes was sort of another thought with no transition. I might look into getting a 7 or 8" rotor for the front. I feel like I might be putting too much stress on the small rotors, hence the warping.