mtbr member
    Feb 2004

LX vs. XT vs. XTR V-Brakes

Looking to upgrade v brakes (oh my god did he say v brakes!?!?!? yes.) I'm thinking about disc but that's not the issue.
    I would like a pair of shimano's parallel push linkage brakes, for the stopping power. The question is, what's the difference between the three levels offered? Is it simply that the weight is inversely proportional to price and coolness? Or do XTR's actually brake better ? My bike is no xc dream machine with bontrager rims and low end shimano and sram gruppo, so weight is not such an issue, and if the LX's compare with XT and XTR in performance, i will go with them.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by briwear
    Looking to upgrade v brakes (oh my god did he say v brakes!?!?!? yes.) I'm thinking about disc but that's not the issue.
    I would like a pair of shimano's parallel push linkage brakes, for the stopping power. The question is, what's the difference between the three levels offered? Is it simply that the weight is inversely proportional to price and coolness? Or do XTR's actually brake better ? My bike is no xc dream machine with bontrager rims and low end shimano and sram gruppo, so weight is not such an issue, and if the LX's compare with XT and XTR in performance, i will go with them.
    look at avid's line of vbrakes as well. I've found them to be on par, and usually are cheaper

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    lx brakes are essentially the same design as the xt ones, however, they have a lot more plastic on them, and the brake pads they come with are known for crummy braking and wearing out quickly. the calipers on the lx brakes are decent.
    the xt ones come with decent cartridge pads, otherwise no huge differences.
    xtr brakes have a different caliper design, the arms are made of better material, the main pivots have real ball bearings instead of bushings, and i think they are lighter. they do work noticeably better than the xt and lx brakes, in my finding, at least.
    anyways, you said you're looking at the parallel push brakes for the improved stopping power. i have ridden lots of different v-brakes, both with and without mechanisms that make the pads hit the rim totally flat, and i can say that they usually don't make that much of a difference compared to a brake of comparable quality without them.
    tim

bi-winning

LX pads are HORRIBLE

reviews say the LX pads are junk, so note that. My advice is to read the reviews on these breaks. Thats what they are there for right

The Riddler

Don't go with XTs

They squeal and are very heavy. You can get avids for much cheaper, they dont squeal, and are much lighter. Or you could go with discs...