mtbr member
    Aug 2007

LX vs XT Rotors... Whats the difference?

I am in need of a new centerlock rotor. I'm looking around and XT are twice as much $$$ as LX. I can understand how other XT components can cost more, but what is the big advantage of an XT rotor over and LX? Is it different/lighter material or something?

Boise
    I have the same question...purchased some SM-RT 77's (XT) and then found the SM RT
    53's (LX) online for half the price. Side by side I see no real difference?

I AM I AM
    Only thing I've read about is that some shimano rotors are for organic pads only, but if they are it will state that somewhere on the rotor, otherwise they are fine for both metal & organic pads. This is generally the case on the low end rotors & brake systems that come as OEM on some bikes.

But certainly be interesting to know the difference, Must be just design / composition related.

mtbr member
    The LX rotor comes with a slightly heavier lock ring (metal instead of plastic like xt and xtr). The surface is fine for all types of pads. There is also plastic connecting the rotor edge to the centerlock on the XT, lighter I guess.

6-bolt wise, there doesn't seem to be any real difference. Perhaps the stainless is higher quality?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnkiwi
    The LX rotor comes with a slightly heavier lock ring (metal instead of plastic like xt and xtr). The surface is fine for all types of pads. There is also plastic connecting the rotor edge to the centerlock on the XT, lighter I guess.

6-bolt wise, there doesn't seem to be any real difference. Perhaps the stainless is higher quality?
    I went ahead and ordered a pair of LX the other day. Ive been running XTs for awhile so Ill report back with any differences I notice. But ya, the lock ring is the biggest thing I can see different. The LX centerlock I ordered had a plastic connector to the rotor, but maybe the pic is wrong and its actually metal. We'll see. Thanks for the info.

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnkiwi
    The LX rotor comes with a slightly heavier lock ring (metal instead of plastic like xt and xtr).
    When i got my 8" XT rotor to replace my 6" Hone rotor (same as LX), i said, WTF, a plastic lock ring!? I kept using the metal one!!

I dont like plastic

MTBR Demi-God
    Quote Originally Posted by ducktape
    Only thing I've read about is that some shimano rotors are for organic pads only, but if they are it will state that somewhere on the rotor, otherwise they are fine for both metal & organic pads.
    Its true, but both the LX and XT rotors are designed for use with either metal or organic pads.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

I AM I AM
    Yeah I thought the compound issue was most likely for Deore spec (or lower) rotors that primarily would come on lower end bikes.

In the 6 bolt versions I haven't acutally seen an LX rotor, just Deore & XT, big difference between those two in the number of holes etc.

Ha ha, if I had centerlock I'd be going for the metal lockring too!