mtbr member
    Mar 2005

LX Levers on BB7's

I am using Shimano BL-M571 LX V-Brake Levers with my BB7's and am wondering if the Avid levers would make a performance difference? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

~Disc~Golf~
    they will if you get something w/ speed dials
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

How do they help

Not having used them, what does the speed dial do for the ride?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Cemoto
    Not having used them, what does the speed dial do for the ride?
    The dials change the cable's point of attachment on the lever, which changes how much pull you get for the the lever throw.

In short - it modifies the modulation
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

LX has H-M-L adjustment

Is the H-M-L adjustment on the LX similar?

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cemoto
    Is the H-M-L adjustment on the LX similar?

Thanks for the help!
    yep, pretty sure that does the same thing

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yes the....

H-M-L settings on the LX lever is similar. The only draw back to those settings is they are finite within the range of adjustment. You have the high, medium and low setting and that is it. With the speed dial lever the adjustment is inifinite within it's adjustment range. So you can tweek the speed dial 1/4 turn (or less if you can manage it ) until it feels right to you. With the LX it's HML and that's it, if one of those settings doesn't suit you, oh well!

I used to have a set of intergrated LX shifter/brake lever pods that I used. I liked the shifters but never really cared for the brake levers. For me the lever blades are too short and not really suited to one finger braking, which I prefer. They worked fine for vbrakes and a two finger braking technique, but I never cared for them once I went to BB7s. The SD7 levers have a bit longer lever blade that makes for more leaway in setting lever position to your liking and the speed dial that will allow you to set them up more to you liking in the modulation department.

Anyway, try the HML adjustment on the LX levers and see if that helps. If you can't get em dialed then I'd say jump to the SD7 lever.

Good DIrt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    H-M-L settings on the LX lever is similar. The only draw back to those settings is they are finite within the range of adjustment. You have the high, medium and low setting and that is it. With the speed dial lever the adjustment is inifinite within it's adjustment range. So you can tweek the speed dial 1/4 turn (or less if you can manage it ) until it feels right to you. With the LX it's HML and that's it, if one of those settings doesn't suit you, oh well!

I used to have a set of intergrated LX shifter/brake lever pods that I used. I liked the shifters but never really cared for the brake levers. For me the lever blades are too short and not really suited to one finger braking, which I prefer. They worked fine for vbrakes and a two finger braking technique, but I never cared for them once I went to BB7s. The SD7 levers have a bit longer lever blade that makes for more leaway in setting lever position to your liking and the speed dial that will allow you to set them up more to you liking in the modulation department.

Anyway, try the HML adjustment on the LX levers and see if that helps. If you can't get em dialed then I'd say jump to the SD7 lever.

Good DIrt
    I have both levers set on the Low setting. Last night I tried switching the front (185mm rotor) to High and it felt like a light switch. Total lack of modulation in that setting. One online shop told me I would get much better performance if I switch levers but I am happy with what I have for the time being. It does not sound to me I will see a great deal of difference. Thanks