mtbr member
    Jun 2010

LX Hydros unequal power???

I am pretty new at biking (started in March) and my Cannondale F800's Deore LX hydraulic brakes seem to have different power between the front and back. When applying force to the back the power output seems great and the bike stops very quickly. On the other hand, the front when applied barely slows me down and takes significantly longer to come to a stop. I've noticed on most singletrack descents (XC racing/riding, no DH) I do not get very good slowing power at all when using my front and back.

The bike shop I purchased the bike from says that Shimano made it this way so that when racing you can apply the brakes through the turn instead of slowing down before the turn, even though some turns I either have to skid the rear to kind of swing the bike through the turn (NOT what I want to do) or I go way wide and end up nearly off the trail.

But what doesn't make sense is how both calipers, levers, and rotors are the same and one seems to have much more power (rear) than the other (front). I am just too new to know how to shift my weight front to back properly during breaking or turning or do I not understand how hydraulic brakes work or is my bike shop full of it???

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty_jared
    The bike shop I purchased the bike from says that Shimano made it this way so that when racing you can apply the brakes through the turn instead of slowing down before the turn
    That is the biggest load of ***** I have ever heard never go back to that shop ever again they do not have a clue they are going to get you killed..

Now as for your problem you might need to bleed the brake if the lever feels soft and squishy that is a good indication that this is the problem or you might have got some oil on the rotor and contaminated the pads to fix that you need to get new pads and clean the rotor with Isopropyl alcohol.

I hope this helps you.

Ed

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty_jared
    When applying force to the back the power output seems great and the bike stops very quickly. On the other hand, the front when applied barely slows me down and takes significantly longer to come to a stop.
    This is opposite of how it should work. The rear should be able to lock up the back wheel pretty easily so you can skid your back tire and not really slow down that much, but the front should halt your bike's forward momentum enough to throw you over the bars (if you're not careful)..

Don't skid through turns. It eff's up the trail.

Your front brakes are poorly set up. Try a different mechanic at that shop if you are still getting free tune-ups. If you are paying, find a new shop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely be taking my business to another LBS from now on as today I bring it in and they insist that Shimano made it that way and there's nothing wrong with my brakes even after the mechanic took it down the road and said he stopped fine with the fronts. I try it the same way and near same speed and there was no way I was stopping fine. Also found out my lefty fork is leaking..Their solution, buy a shock pump and keep filling it with air and said it didn't need to be repaired since it still holds *some* air.

I technically could still get free odds and ends done but I am going to take it in to another shop and just pay for them to at least get it set up so I know how the brakes are supposed to feel. There are only 2 mechanics in this shop and both do as quick as job as possible just to get a quick turnover in the store, but problems have never been solved all the way.