mtbr member
    Apr 2005

LX Hydraulic Disc Brakes Lock Up Without Oil

I just bought a slightly used 2005 Trek 8000 w/LX Hydraulic Disc Brakes. It's the first time I've had hydraulic disk brakes. I got the bike in today and the brake system is locked. The brakes are fully engaged and the wheels will not move. But, strangely enough, there is NO OIL in the brake system. The oil was drained out by the previous owner.

Can someone explain this to me? Do the brakes lock up if there is no oil, I would think that the opposite would be true. Perhaps there is a locking mechanism?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tatemononai
    I just bought a slightly used 2005 Trek 8000 w/LX Hydraulic Disc Brakes. It's the first time I've had hydraulic disk brakes. I got the bike in today and the brake system is locked. The brakes are fully engaged and the wheels will not move. But, strangely enough, there is NO OIL in the brake system. The oil was drained out by the previous owner.

Can someone explain this to me? Do the brakes lock up if there is no oil, I would think that the opposite would be true. Perhaps there is a locking mechanism?

Thanks

No locking mechanism.

Sounds like the calipers are so badly aligned that the rotor is rubbing/jamming maybe?

It is also possible that in order to "drain" the brakes the previous owner pumped them a bunch of times, forcing out the pistons. I would advise to remove the wheels and press the pistons back in before re-bleeding the system.