mtbr member

LX Canti's w/pic need pads bad, what will work with these

I just recently installed NOS LX Canti's, I believe there from 1996. To say the stock pads suck would be an understatement, can I just slap any canti pad on there or do I need to find something that will fit in the holder, I've never seen a cantilever pad with a screw in it before.

Also I have Ceramic coated rims, do I need anything special or just regular Koolstops be ok?

mtbr member
    You can use any canti pad as long as the pad post is the same. Hit up your LBS, they should have them in stock.
    '05 Mountain cycle fury
    DJ3 forks
    FSA cranks
    Race face/shimano chainrings

ballbuster

I had those brakes

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb
    I just recently installed NOS LX Canti's, I believe there from 1996. To say the stock pads suck would be an understatement, can I just slap any canti pad on there or do I need to find something that will fit in the holder, I've never seen a cantilever pad with a screw in it before.

Also I have Ceramic coated rims, do I need anything special or just regular Koolstops be ok?
    Best rim brakes I ever owned.

I had Kool Stop Grey pads in mine. The things rivaled my disc brakes in shear stopping power.

Basically, any threadless stud brake pads should be fine. I found if I ran the arms further out, as in more brake pad stud showing between the pad and brake arm, the better the leverage I got out of them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Best rim brakes I ever owned.

I had Kool Stop Grey pads in mine. The things rivaled my disc brakes in shear stopping power.

Basically, any threadless stud brake pads should be fine. I found if I ran the arms further out, as in more brake pad stud showing between the pad and brake arm, the better the leverage I got out of them.
    Thanks allot, that's what I was looking at, both in grey and salmon. I've herd there was also a ceramic formula but I haven't seen it anywhere online.

I'll have to start using my shoe, till I can find pads I was looking at my brand new rims and can't believe what these stock pads have done to it in 20 miles (all dry, no wet)

Meh.
    You need special pads for ceramic coated rims. Can't blame the pads when you're using the wrong ones.

Have your LBS order you the ceramic compound for cantilever brakes. Koolstop does make them. I believe it's the green compound for ceramic rims. Jagwire Switchback pads are also available for ceramic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You need special pads for ceramic coated rims. Can't blame the pads when you're using the wrong ones.

Have your LBS order you the ceramic compound for cantilever brakes. Koolstop does make them. I believe it's the green compound for ceramic rims. Jagwire Switchback pads are also available for ceramic.
    Searching around the net, the Koolstop green are for ceramic, but some are saying it's not critical to run them? From my understanding there just harder and supposedly last longer then then the grey/black pads.

Never enough time to ride
    Ceramic pads are going to wear a standard brake pad out pretty quickly, and that would just suck!

Go for the Kool Stop Green compound and you'll save yourself a bit of a head ache.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squish
    Ceramic pads are going to wear a standard brake pad out pretty quickly, and that would just suck!

Go for the Kool Stop Green compound and you'll save yourself a bit of a head ache.

happy trails...

squish
    Thanks Squish, I'm looking for them but can't find them anywhere, found plenty of V pads of course. I'll have to call my LBS and see if they can order them..

Meh.
    QBP stocks the Jagwire pads for ceramics. You'll need to order the holder and cartridge seperately. Not exactly cheap. But your shop can get them. They're probably available from other distributors as well, didn't bother to check.

mtbr member
    QBP stocks the Jagwire pads for ceramics.
    Thanks I'll keep that option in mind if my LBS don't have anything

Meh.
    QBP should be one of your LBS's distributors.

mtbr member
    QBP should be one of your LBS's distributors.
    Just called LBS all they carry is some I never herd of , clarks. They said they should be able to get Koolstops at $15 at a set, I didn't even ask about ceramic, that price sounds a bit high. I'll either have to keep looking online or call over to the next town and see what they have.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 04-09-2008 at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member
    I should of thought of it sooner, I just called Koolstop directly, and ordered the pads from them.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to update this thread, I got the pads today, if anyone is curious as to what the Ceramic canti pads look like here they are. I haven't installed them yet, once I clean my rims I'll put them on .